Churchill polar bear trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent 2 days on tundra and 1 day in Churchill on tour from Winnipeg. Went at end of October, but with the ice forming later, could have waited into November to see the bears.
Such nature trips are a crap shoot, but we did see at least 5 bears each day including one cub, foxes, pretty sunrise, no aurora. We were pleased. You do spend a long time taking a bumpy ride for short periods of excitement observing bears, so you must be patient and have realistic expectations.
Some people fly up from Winnipeg just for the day, but that is a lot of seat time and sightings are not guaranteed, so two days increase probability of seeing bears.
Independent travel is possible with Calm Air, then book a daily seat with one of the operators, but it looked expensive to us and if the Calm Air flight was cancelled due to weather, the tour companies do not refund.
One can also hire a driver with 4x4 to travel public roads, but sightings less likely.

The tours also take their groups around town to see the fort, the polar bear international house, a museum, murals, etc. on day of arrival and another day if you take a longer trip. Not much to see in town--a few shops which tend to close early, the museum, some bars, but we enjoyed a few hours.

I can't compare the companies, but the vehicles all looked similar and spent about the same amount of time in the reserve, going to the same places. Of course, they use different motels, restaurants, drivers and guides, but with only one experience I can't say which is best. I did notice that one tour included fewer meals so could offer a lower cost. We stayed in town but two companies offer converted vehicles as lodges in the reserve. The bunk beds and cost didn't appeal to us, but it does get you up to 1 hour closer to where the bears are so more time searching/observing rather than commuting. It did look like Frontiers North lodge was in the better location. We spent a lot of time nearby watching bears.

Our group of 20+ was about half older/retired and middle-aged; more couples than singles; maybe half Americans; half serious photographers. Everyone got along well. I saw a tour group of families that seemed happy. The food was basic but OK. Temps were cold but facilities and vehicles warm. We spent limited time outside where the wind was brutal.

I would now like to go back for the belugas in July/August. I'm unsure of other summer activities, but I know from this experience I probably wouldn't want to book extra days around town.

Churchill is also trying to create an aurora season in February. We did see a building with a dome that I think you can be inside and have 360 view of sky. I'm unsure of the likelihood of successful viewing but I think they are scheduling for the normally clearest skies and long nights. I'm sure it would be cold temps. Some people saw aurora in Churchill in October this year.

Old Nov 16th, 2023, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great memories generated by your report! We went in 2017 and stayed in the Tundra Buggy for two nights in the "posh bunk beds" as we called them. It gave us a lot of extra sighting possibilities I think - including looking out my bunk bed window at 3am and Pete the Polar Bear was right there!
But no matter how you do it - certainly recommend it!

Looking down at Pete the Polar Bear from the Tundra Buggy. He looks hungry, doesn't he?

This is the Tundra Buggy Lodge. Little windows are bunks/big windows is dining room/lounge/bar

I lost the toss and got the upper!