Search

Charlottetown, Canada Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlottetown, Canada Day Weekend

SO and I may have an opportunity to be in Charlottetown for Canada Day Weekend (fly in Friday night, leave Monday late afternoon or early evening) and we'll stay in a downtown hotel (probably the Delta Prince).

Is this enough time in Charlottetown? Too much time?

Do you know if there are any special events on Canada Day weekend? I haven't checked the Charlottetown website but I will, though you may know of something that might not be posted there.

Any recommendations for restaurants or fun things to do? Any swing dancing in town?

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:10 AM

Hi, Charlottetown itself is tiny but very picturesque. A weekend on the Island however is another thing - I'd advise renting a car and heading to the North Shore beaches, the National Park is lovely.

Do try the Merchantman pub just opposite the Delta, good pub food and a favorite haunt of locals. The Gahan House is also nice, as is Victoria Row for it's outside patios on a pedestrian only street. All are very easy walking distance of your hotel.

A stroll along the boardwalk from just below your hotel and around Victoria Park is very pretty especially in the early morning or early evening when it's cooler.

For fine dining I'm afraid you have to go outside Charlottetown and the lobster suppers are a perrenial favorite.

As for celebrations there will certainly be some, likely rather low key though. Look for their 'Now Magazine' equivalent called 'The Buzz' available free in many restaurants, bars etc. It will fill you in on what's happening.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Hi lucyp,
Thanks for this. Fine dining isn't really what we'll be looking for. I'll be joining my SO there at the tail end of a conference and we'll be just looking for a jeans and tee shirt weekend -- casual dining, long walks, browsing in shops. If there are things like markets and craft fairs, that would be nice too. The boardwalk, the pubs and the pedestrian street you suggest sound just about right.

Will we be dead bored by Monday afternoon? Are stores, bars and restaurants open on Sunday? Are there movie theatres?

I don't really want to rent a car and go anywhere outside of Charlottetown (we have been to PEI before but never to C'town). Should we just go for Friday night, Saturday and come home Sunday night?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:37 AM

Hi, restaurants and bars are certainly open on Sundays and I believe stores as well though I'm uncertain on that point.
Charlottetown has implemented a bus transit system, they looked very fake antique/hokey to me but at least could get you to the movies which are at a large mall at the edge of town (sorry I cannot remember it's name) ask for the mall with the movie cinemas, they'll all know it.

Nearby is a drive in restaurant called the Peter Pan which is very good and in business since I was a little girl there.

The Confederation centre has a decent art gallery and plays etc. in the evenings. Near UPEI is the farmers market held Saturday mornings (maybe another bus trip).

I think any free Canada Day concerts etc. would be held very near your hotel - there's a group of tourist shops and restaurants and a marina beside a rather new park where many such events happen.

I'm so sorry I'm not better on actual names but the place is small and the locals are very helpful. As to the boredom question I'm not certain but think it's likely okay to keep to your original fly out Monday plan.

A few shops to look for are "Moonsnail Soapworks' all handmade cosmetics - their lip balm is amazing.
The crafts guild has it's own shop on Victoria Row with lots of good local pottery etc. and there's one in the Confederation Centre as well.

Still, speaking only for myself I can't imagine a summer visit to the Island without a trip to a beach!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
hdm
Original Poster

This is great. Assuming we sleep in in the mornings and don't rush to get anywhere, I think we should be able to fill up a few days.

We've definitely spent some time at Cavendish Beach in the past, saw Green Gables (I always forget that Anne-with-an-e is a fictional character. I always think of her as a historical figure, especially since Green Gables exists). We visited an Acadian Village and had a very interesting meal there, and saw about a zillion blue herons.

Just Charlottetown this time, though.

Thanks, Lucy -- you've been so helpful.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM

Happy to help. Try this site - http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/

I love Charlottetown especially now that I've lived in Toronto for the past 25 years! That said I have many family members to visit with when I go which passes the time.

If you have any specific questions later I'll try to answer them.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Thanks. I've bookmarked that, The Buzz, and the Charlottetown events websites and I'll visit them in June to see what's doing.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:35 PM

One of the most enjoyable things we did on PEI was to attend a performance of "Anne of Green Gables" in the Confederation theatre in Charlottetown. It is put on every summer with professional actors, and begins this year on June 19. It was represented to us as 'the thing' to do, and I confess to thinking we would be politely bored, but it was wonderful. An option, if that appeals.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
hdm
Original Poster

It definitely appeals!
Thanks
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:23 AM

Ususally Canada Day weekend there is a big concert in Charlottetown on the waterfront and a huge fireworks display.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 03:41 AM
hdm
Original Poster

That sounds good Tanya. Would that happen actually on Canada Day which, this year, is Sunday? Or would they do it on the Monday holiday?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Stores and bars are not open on Sundays, nor are grocery stores. Restaurants and conveniene stores are open, and there are actually some very nice dining choices in Ch'Town. Canada Day celebrations occur at Victoria Park and all day at the waterfront by Peakes Key etc. It's very well done, concerts, rides, fireworks.... A big celebration.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Hi Faithie, i thought that the provincial gov't had decided to try Sunday shopping as a boost to tourism this year? My information might have been wrong - perhaps it had been decided against? I'm curious myself as I arrive on a Sunday to my rented cottage...
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Hi Lucy,
This has been a really big issue on PEI for years....

I thought the last word was a "nea" but just called home and your correct, it starts in May. That's BIG news for PEI as its been years that this debate has been going on.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Well, that's great for me! Thanks, all, for your help.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks Faithie, I was going to check with family tonight!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM

HDM, if you don't mind my jumping in with a question...Lucy, is the Peter Pan a drive in of the old fashioned sort,car hops, milkshakes, that sort of thing? I am going to be in PEI in July and it might make a fun stop for lunch one day.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Exactly so! I love Peter Pan, it's over by "The Mall"....
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:21 PM
hdm
Original Poster

No problemo, cmcfong!

Is it just a drive-in or can you eat inside too?

Now I'm getting really excited! I just got an email back from the Delta Prince and my Entertainment Book card is getting us a great rate there. I might even throw caution to the winds and get the Deluxe Jacuzzi room!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM
hdm
Original Poster

My excitement is deflating. I reread the email and realized I had sent her the wrong dates. (They were nowhere near the correct dates -- clearly a seniors' moment.) I bet when she writes back the rates will be high because of the long weekend.

What do you think of the Great George Inn? Is it right downtown? Nice?

Any other suggestions? I was even thinking of the Holiday Inn Express but I think that's out on the highway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -