Search

Car Rental Help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
S_G
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental Help

We are flying from LA to Baltimore and coming back by air from Montreal. We will be driving to Montreal from Baltimore. If we pick up the car at Baltimore Airport and return in Burlington, it is quite expensive, a little over $100/day. Then there is the question of getting to Montreal. Car pick up in Baltimore and return in Montreal is close to $1350 for a week. Are there better alternatives?

Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM

Can you try that again, S_G? Unless you are the reincarnation of Houdini, I don't see how you can do what you've described, even supposing you were able to overcome the extortionate rental car drop off fee.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM

Picking a car up in one country and dropping it off in another always has incredible fees involved.
Can you rejig your trip to involve only one country per year?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:49 PM

The thing that threw me was, "We will be driving to Montreal from Baltimore." I think you meant to say you'd be driving from Baltimore to Montreal.

As icithecat said, it's always very expensive to pick up a car in the US and drop it off in Canada or vice versa.

A Google search reveals that there are bus services between Burlington and Montreal. An example is Vermont Transit Lines. I can view their schedule online. The trip evidently takes 2.5 hours. A quick look at their site does not show me their fare. However, they have a toll free number that is accessible from the States.

In doing a search for bus services between Burlington, Vermont (which I assume is the Burlington to which you were referring), be careful to exclude results for Burlington, Ontario.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
S_G
Original Poster

There are reasons for taking this trip. My husband has business meetings in Baltimore and I have an ailing mother in Montreal. I wanted my kids to meet her during their spring break. My apologies for wording my question incorrectly. English is my third language.

Thank you both for your input.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM

I pull up airfares Baltimore / Montreal return of over $400 per seat.
Not good.
I know there is train service from NYC to Montreal, but I do not know about Baltimore / NYC.

Under your circumstances, with a family, maybe the cost is not too high.
Ailing grandparents often make you throw cost considerations out the window.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM

>>>>>>English is my third language.<<<<<<

If English is your third language, I would love to witness your command of your first two languages. I would never have guessed you were anything but a native English speaker.

Good luck with your visit to your mom.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:26 AM
S_G
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. We were able to sort it all out. We are renting a car from Baltimore to Albany, 4 days for $325/-, then renting again for the Albany to Montreal drive for $170/-. Reasonable considering there is five of us and Air, Train would probably be more. With all that luggage

Have a great day!