cape breton or bust

Jun 17th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

cape breton or bust

my wife and i will be heading to the cape in late august. 1) can we really see whales at that time of year?; 2) would you recommend staying in one of the larger towns or would it be better to stay up at somewhere like cape north for more solitude?; 3) where's the best secluded outdoorsy place to stay (we want rustic but not dirt floors)?; 4) how dangerous is sea kayaking....my wife will be 5 months pregnant?; and 5) what's the 1 thing we absolutely cannot miss on a car ride from halifax to cape breton?
Jun 18th, 2003, 01:12 AM

In late August, definitely you will see lots of whales. The water is warmer that time of year and hence, the whales will follow fish to feed. Pleasant Bay has a whale interpretation centre with several tour operators. One operator offers a zodiac experience which means you are level with the whales. For the most part, you will see pod whales. For more of a variety, Digby area is best.

Baddeck is a great little village - kinda artsy. Very friendly place and central to most of Cape Breton. Having said that, anyplace you choose would be ok - Ingonish, Cheticamp, etc.

Not sure about the outdoorsy place? Maybe someone else can help there!

About sea kayaking, depends on the weather, her capability, etc. I am not sure if I had no experience and was that far along, I would want to risk it?

The car ride from Halifax to Cape Breton can be quite boring if you stick to the major route. There are several different, longer ways to make your trek. You could take the eastern shore from Halifax stopping at Clam Harbour Beach for a swim. I would suggest staying at the Liscomb Lodge resort or if you want something a little more rustic a mile up the road, call David at 902 752 7665 - he has a small cabin right on the water for rent. From there, you can head to Cape Breton the next day. Or stop off in Pictou County and enjoy the area - historic town of Pictou, great warm water beaches (Melmerby has all amenities) and a couple of great Inns to accommodate you. If you don't want to stay the night there, I would suggest taking the sunrise trail (turn off at Sutherlands River) and heading towards Antigonish. The route is often referred to as the "mini" trail. Antigonish is a small university town with some great restaurants. You are only about 30 minutes or less to the entrance of Cape Breton Island from here.

Hope this helps.
Jun 18th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Hi tonka, In late August you will see whales out of Cheticamp or Pleasant Bay. I would have to say for sheer beauty i would stay in baddeck for the scenry alone plus its closer if you want to go whale watching. or you could try bird island tours which has cottages on site and is right on the ocean there number is 1 800 661 6680 if you want more info. Sea kajaking is not danagerous as long as you don't over do it. Mind you i don't know if i'd do it if i was pregnant.its ify. If you want to see whales & didn't take the whale cruise I would go to a litle place called Neils harbour which is located just up the road fron Ingonish on the Cabot Trail, where they have on the water front is a lighthouse with an ice cream stand built in. They have a deck in which you can sit & watch the whales go by at times they are so close it feels that you can reach out and touch them, its unreal, not only will you see whales but dolphins as well as pilot whales.
Jun 18th, 2003, 10:59 PM

I would second staying at Baddeck,its a pretty village.As for what not to miss on the way from Halifax I would suggest Sherbrooke Village Museum. We broke our journey there last year on the way to Cape Breton and spent a fascinating afternoon looking round, here is their web site if you want to check it outbr /> http://museum.gov.ns.ca/sv/
Jun 19th, 2003, 01:29 AM

Sherbrooke Village is a reconstruction of the way life used to be. It isn't far from Liscomb Lodge. Also at Liscomb you can take a hike back to the fish ladder. Awesome spot!