Search

Canadian Rockies Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:59 AM
eto
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Rockies Trip

We(4 adults) are planning a trip for the last week of August and the 1st week of September. We've decided to fly in and out of Calgary and are trying to decide how to plan out our time. I've been doing a lot of reading but it gets a little confusing.
We'll be gone 14 nights and would like to move hotels/cabins as few times as possible.
Does it make sense to go from Banff to Lake Louise and finally to Jasper using each of these locations as home base for a several nights? Is Canmore a good option, there seems to be a lot of options for lodgings that we could all share with enough space that we wouldn't drive each other crazy. If we just stayed at 2 places would that mean a lot of driving back and forth? We like to hike and take lots of pictures, presume that we would certainly do most of the main sights as this is our first trip.
Would appreciate any advice anyone might give.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:33 AM

Hello eto,

In theory you could stay in just two places, one place in the Canmore / Banff / Lake Louise corridor plus another place in Jasper.

The question of which location to choose for the southerly portion of your trip involves weighing up some pros and cons.

Canmore does indeed offer the most options when it comes to self-catering apartments. Because Canmore is outside of the national parks, it has fewer restrictions on its growth. In fact it's growing all the time in response to the demand for overflow accommodation for the Banff area.

Canmore's disadvantage is that it's situated at the east end of the Rockies. Lake Louise is more centrally located with respect to the premium scenery, in my opinion. On the other hand, LL doesn't have nearly the selection of accommodation that Canmore has.

According to the Free Trip website, Canmore is 11 minutes from Banff townsite, it's 1 hour from Lake Louise, and it's 1 hr 47 min from Field, BC (which is in Yoho National Park). Emerald Lake is about half an hour beyond Field.

So, yes, if you were based in Canmore, and if you wanted to see all of the prime scenery along the portion of Hwy #1 that goes through the mountain national parks, you'd have at least one day that would involve a fair amount of driving, but it wouldn't be onerous.

Since you'll have more time in the Rockies than many first time visitors do, you'd have time to explore Kananaskis Country (primarily Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, which is to the east of Banff National Park). A base in Canmore would position you well for that.

Here's a map of Kananaskis Country, in case you're interested:

http://www.kananaskisvalley.com/mapbg.html

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM

The time estimates I see above appear wrong. I have driven those roads many times in the past several summers, including last year.

I don't think it takes any 47 minutes to drive from Lake Louise to Field nor will it take an hour and 47 minutes from Canmore to Field. I have done it many times in less than that.

From Lake Louise to Field, the highway is the Trans Canada and the distance is about 16 miles.

I guess if you stopped for a long time at the Spiral Tunnels overlooks along the trans Canada highway, it could take that long!

Canmore is a few minutes drive from Banff, and from Lake Louise.

If cost is a major factor, you could do it this way: stay the first nights in Canmore, then take visit along the route and spend the night in Golden BC, and retrace your steps the next day to see what you missed.

The other option is to bite the bullet and stay in Banff. If you are making omlettes, broken eggs result. Your choices are drive more pay less; or the reverse. Driving more means more time in transit. However, I see Canmore as a good compromise!

Jasper is not cheap, either, and there are no bail-out options near there without driving even longer distances.

If budget is a factor, consider at least using Park Approved Accommodations in Jasper. In years past there has been a list of such accommodations on the web and available in printed form from park headquarters.

I have tried that type of lodging twice with indifferent success. The rooms were ok, cheaper than hotel/motel rooms, but required some thinking on our part to get deposits to them. (I bought some Canadian dollars from a friend who is from PEI and shipped them in an envelope.)

One thing about Jasper, it is so popular that many of the more cost/effective places put a minimum stay period on their rooms. I know my son used a place last year that had a 3 day minimum, but that was fine with him.

Emerald Lake is NOT a half hour beyond Field. The distance is something like 11K and the road is not that BAD.
Of course, if you count walking from where you park your car to the lake, it could be a half hour!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the corrections, Al_Godon. Type in haste, repent at leisure.

Yes, Emerald Lake is 11 km (about 15 minutes) from Field.

Field is 16 miles (say 20 minutes) from Lake Louise. Lake Louise is 50 miles (say 60 minutes) from Canmore. That makes Canmore to Field about 80 minutes.

Actual driving times vary depending on traffic, etc. When we visited Takakkaw Falls in the summer of 2004, they had reduced the speed limit on Hwy #1 to an even lower speed than it normally was, for a good chunk of the way between Field and Lake Louise. They posted the reason for the speed reduction, but I forget now what it was. Even so, it STILL wasn't as slow as the driving times I provided in my initial post.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
ltt

compare prices, but i'd rather stay in banff then canmore. just more convenient. check out douglasfir.com. they have some nice units with separate bedrooms, fireplace, kitchens. plenty of room for 2 couples. great location. there is even public transport right outside to town if you wanted to go separate ways occassionally.
i think i might do banff for 4 nights, then drive the parkway to jasper for 4-5 nights then a couple around lake louise/field/emerald lake area.
kananaskis is also very beautiful and that would be convenient to stay at on your way back to calgary.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM

My husband and I would like to highly recommend Patricia Lake Bungalows in Jasper as we spent our honeymoon there. They have a great site on the internet with a vertual tour where you can see the property. The quaint cabins are right on the lake with a trail down to the waters edge. The view is breathtaking. There is so much to do: fishing on the lake, paddleboats, canoeing,BBQing, Jacuzzi,and the hiking is spectacular!Staying in town when you're in paradise doesn't make sense when you can have noise and stores at home!!The serene surroundings make you feel like you've really had a holiday.The staff are so friendly and recently when we were there for Thanksgiving they had 30 pumpkins for us all to carve( some people go there every year just for that)that was so much fun there were prizes and we all enjoyed some hot chocolate afterwards as we toured the site seeing everyones creations.It was a fun evening we will look forward to this year as well. When you are seeing the vertual tour the cabins are quaint but don't reflect their upscale interiors.The beds always give us a luxurious nights sleep ( the fresh mountain air helps too!)This place is 5 star in our eyes!Enjoy your stay!!