Canada in Dec/ Jan

Search

Canada in Dec/ Jan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada in Dec/ Jan

I'm planning a trip to Canada in December and January, visiting Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec city. I'd like some tips about places to visit and things to do. Specially links about winter activities like dog sledding, ice climbing and snowmobiling.Thanks for the information
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:26 AM

You should start by consulting the following websites:

Tourism Ontario: http://www.ontariotravel.net/

National Capital Commission (for Ottawa/Gatineau): http://www.capcan.ca

BonjourQuébec: http://www.bonjourquebec.com

They'll have detailed information on winter activities. Note that you'll most likely be able to go dog sledding and ice climbing in Quebec and definitely not in Montreal or Quebec City.

Just to let you know, last year in December, there was no snow in Montreal or Ottawa (I moved from the first to the latter mid-month). Ottawa didn't get snow until mid-January.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
nbujic

There was no snow in Toronto last Dec.
You have to go way out of the cities to enjoy he activities you mentioned.

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
wow

For the activities you mention you have to travel very far North of the cities you are interested in visiting. And, even then you may not find them in December. Forgive me but I am chuckling imagining dog sleds, snowmobiles & ice climbing(what is that?) in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, & Quebec City. How about skating? You may be able to skate on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa in January. Or, skiing in January north of any of the cities you have mentioned.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
BAK

Sometimes, mari, info here is not as good as it could be.

Chances are really good that you'll find dog sledding demos, and dog sled rides, down by the harbour in Montreal in January.

And, within 100 miles of Toronto, going north, there will likely be lots of winter activities. Similarly, north of Ottawa, in the Gatineau Hills, you should find lots of winter activities.

On the good-info side... yes, we've had a couple of warmish winters, which has made life miserable for ski resort operators.

It's a bit of a gable, with the odds for outdoor winter activities improving as you move from Toronto to Ottawa to Montreal to Quebec City.

If you are driving, head north from Toronto toward Huntsville, Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Collingwood, and then turn east toward Ottawa, and you'll get more snow, skiing, snowmobiling, etc. than if you drive east from Toronto along highway 401, and httn north to Ottawa.

BAK

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
wow

Brian: Mari asked about dog sledding, ice climbing & snowmobiling in Toronto for God's sake!!! We told her to go North. So, did you. The info here is very good.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

I'm willing to travel a few hours from Toronto or Montral if necessary... I was thinking of going to Mont Tremblant for a couple of nights...