Can jasper really be this cold?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving Friday for Calgary and I was checking the weather for what to expect when we hit Jasper over the weekend and I think the weather site says that the *high* for the day is 32F. Can that be true? I had no idea that it could get that cold in July. I guess its time to repack the luggage.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM

Canada uses Celsius; the high I see is 29°C today according to CBC... that's close to 84°F.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM

89 F is predicted for a high on July 4
those are ungodly hot temperatures for Jasper.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

So the forecast (for next Saturday | Sunday, the 8th and 9th) has been revised up a bit but its still 8C for the low on Saturday night (is that mid=forties?). I guess that's better. Here's the 14 day trend:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...3.htm?CAAB0173
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM

Don't worry. We visited Jasper middle of June and it was very warm.

Temperatures ranged between 59 F and 70 F. Temperatures can be significant lower during night and it can be quite cool on the mountain passes (Icefield center) and mountain peaks.

I would always prepare for some lower temperatures. Weather in the mountains can change quickly and you do nothing wrong with a warm sweater and wind breaker jacket.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM

I would advise you against looking at the weather forecast. Any resemblance between the mountain weather forecast, even tomorrow's weather forecast, and the conditions that you'll actually experience is coincidental.

We attended a wedding in Banff on June 10th. We were worried when the Friday night's weather forecast called for rain on both the Saturday, the day of the wedding, and the Sunday. Not only did it not rain on the Saturday, but the Saturday afternoon gave us the most glorious sunshine which, in turn, enabled us to take brilliant wedding photos. The first rain we encountered, and even then it was just spitting rather than really raining, was around lunch time on the Sunday, as we set out for home in Calgary.

The following weekend was exactly the opposite. On the Friday night the weather forecast called for clear, sunny conditions on the weekend. With my own ears I heard the weather forecaster say, "Zero chance of precipitation on Saturday and Sunday." Well, wouldn't you know it, but it rained on both days of the weekend.

Fodor's has an article entitled, "How To Slim Down Your Suitcase," here:

http://www.fodors.com/wire/archives/001901.cfm

It's a good article, but there is one suggestion that, while it may be correct for many destinations, is dead wrong for the Rockies. It tells you to look at the weatherforecast, pack accordingly, and avoid packing "just in case" clothes. Packing for the Rockies is all about "just in case" clothes.

In the Rockies in summer you can experience anything from just below freezing up to the low 90s F. You can experience dramatic temperature swings from morning to afternoon.

The TIPS section of my website has a page dedicated to what to pack for Calgary and the Canadian Rockies:

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...urwebpage.msnw

Hope that helps.