Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary-vancouver in RV, wow, so many questions!

Jun 25th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

First thanks to Lynette and Kert for good advice. Meanwhile I've been reading many recommendations of Icefield parkway. So I've decidet to go from Calg. to Banff, and stay overnight and then to Jasper. But then, should we go west, towards Red Pass, Tete Jaune Cache and then south to Kamloops OR go back to LL and head west to Revelstoke? It seems to me (coming from tiny tiny Denmark) that the Jasper area looks very deserted. Well, I only have a 1:1 500 000 map...

We will get to Banff on saturday the 5.th of July. And apperently it's not possible to book RV camping in the national parks i Alberta. Am I wrong? Would It be a problem to find a place to stay, cause of the 4.th of July hollyday weekend? Is it possible just finding a spot along the road, to pull over, and sleep, if everything is booked?
We are very interested in visiting Yoho, but again, I cannot figure out if its possible to enter with a RV vehicle. Can I buy a complete guide of campgrounds or something similar, when I get to Calgary?

How is the weather forecast for this area? (You can tall I'm a mother of two kids)

When we finally get to Vancouver, should we then take the RV to Vancouver Island? Where is the best place to take the ferry, if so? By the way, we only have the RV in 10 days. And the distances are very long, compared to danish conditions!
Are we planning to much?

I'll appreciate if anyone have comments on some of this. Thanks!. And I'm really looking forward to visit your gret country!
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:39 PM

July 4th is an American holiday, not a Canadian one, so there should only be normal weekend traffic (July 1st is the Canadian holiday). You can enter anywhere with a mobile home, but you can't just stop overnight along the road.

I don't have a map in front of me, but I recommend taking the Hope-Princeton Highway to Vancouver. It's very scenic.

I will check some websites for you to see if there is a list of campgrounds, etc.

I'm sure other people will have more information for you.
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Here I am again. A good site for campgrounds seems to be: http://www.canadianrockies.com

then, "all accommodations--alberta/british columbia"

It looks like you can make reservations at many of the campgrounds.
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:57 AM

First off, the 4th of July is NOT a long weekend in Canada. The 4th of July is a holiday in the USA. My personal preference would be to skip the Jasper part of your trip, just spend the time travelling through the Rockies. There are lots of great places to stop along the way to Vancouver. As far as booking an RV hookup in a National Park, I'm afraid I can't answer as I'm not a camper but I have a feeling that might be a correct assumption. There are lots of camp grounds throughout the area so you shouldn't have to stop along the side of the road - although you might get to meet a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer then!! RV's are driven through the mountain parks every day so you won't have a problem (how big is it?) I presume that you have booked one in Calgary, I'm sure you can pick up all sorts of maps, etc. when you pick it up.

Weather - well it could be really hot, or really cold. Hopefully it will be nice. Plan to bring a sweater and rain gear, but you won't need heavy coats.

There are two ferry terminals in the Vancouver that will get you to Vancouver Island. One at Tswassen on the southeast side of Vancouver - this will get you to Sydney which is about 30 minutes from downtown Victoria. The other terminal is Horsehoe Bay in North Vancouver - which will take you to Nanaimo, about two hours north of Victoria.

The Calgary Stampede starts on July 4th (with a big parade) sure hope you spend some time seeing it.

Hope this information helps. Enjoy your visit to Western Canada!
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Here is a link for you to check out campsites in Banff Natl park.
http://www.canadianrockies.net/banff/bnpcampg.html
You cannot reserve in the National parks, so you will probably want to arrive in the early afternoon, so as to have the best chance of getting a site. As far as Provincial campgrounds go, you can make reservations through www.discovercamping.ca
You will get no electrical or water hookups, but you can still take your RV into the campsites. It is a long way up to Jasper and then down to Kamloops, and you will miss the Okanagan valley which would be a shame. the strawberries are in full swing now, and the Cherries should be starting soon. The further south you go the warmer it is, and the earlier your fruit is ripe. Today in Kelowna we are going to hit 31degrees C, and we are going to the beach. I guess you need to decide whether you are wanting to see lots of the Rocky Mountains, and the wildlife and hotsprings and hiking that goes with that area or spend time in the heat. Either is a great option, but with only 10 days, you do not have enough time to do both justice and still get to the Island.
Another website you might want to check out is www.HelloBC.com
You can pick up BC and Alberta accommodation and camping guides and any tourist info center once you arrive.
If you have time to do a day at the Calgary Stampede when you arrive, it would be a great experience. (the whole cowboy thing, your kids would love it)
Good luck with your plans
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everybody for your wonderfull help! I appriciate it very much and It has given me a lot of help, planning our "exploring Canada tour" Thanks again!