Reload this Page >

Calgary-Vancouver by car

Search

Calgary-Vancouver by car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:36 AM
Helio

Calgary-Vancouver by car

I´m planning to rent a car in Calgary in september, visit the most important places in the Rocky Mountains (5 days), and return the car in Vancouver. <BR>Please, could someone tell me about a site in the internet where I can get detailed road directions, and suggested itineraries? <BR>Which rental car company offers the best rates for this? (I know that normally there´s an expensive extra fee for returning the car in a different city) <BR>Thank you, and forgive my english... <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:29 AM
April

I don't know that you need an internet site. There has been good information about routes on this forum. I'm sure some people have an opinion on which route is 'best' but there isn't one I didn't like.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:49 PM
travelingman

You can get directions at http://maps.yahoo.com/ ... It's a computer that picks the route, though, so don't expect it to be optimized for scenery. <BR> <BR>For dropping off the car at a different location, expect a fee of around $150 (at Hertz, Budget and Alamo). <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 01:45 PM
Dai

I have done a similar one way rental between Calgary - Vancouver and found that many of the companies offer free one-way drop offs (ie no extra charge). I did this between the airports with Thrifty the first time and then with Alamo. Both were fine.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Scott

Helio: <BR> <BR>There will definitely be a drop-off fee at any of the car rental agencies, unless they happen to have a Vancouver-based car at the Calgary airport when you pick it up, then you're doing them a favour by returning it to Vancouver and there shouldn't be a charge. Ask when you arrive at the car rental desk at the airport if they have a Vancouver car. <BR> <BR>As for the route you should take, you don't have too much choice. There's only one highway(TransCanada # 1)from Calgary to Banff(a must) then on to Lake Louise, then on to Golden. At Golden you could turn South on Highway #95 and make your way to Vancouver via Cranbrook, Creston, Trail, Grand Forks on Highway #3. However, I'd suggest that you stay on Highway 1 at Golden to Sicamous and cut south there on highway #97A to Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton(These are in the Okanagan Valley...stay there a couple of days)and then South to Highway 3 and out to the Coast(Vancouver) via Keremeos, Princeton and Hope where Highway 3 connects with Highway # 1. <BR> <BR>However, if it's mountains you want to see(although you'll also see plenty along Highways #1 and #97), then do turn south at Golden on Highway #95 and visit Windermere, Radium Hot Springs, Fairmont Hot Springs(these are volcanic remnants that produce hot springs in this region....there are some at Banff, too, as well as in several other areas of BC and Alberta). <BR> <BR>Either way, you can't go wrong. The whole trip will be beautiful. <BR> <BR>Cheers! <BR> <BR>Scott