Reload this Page >

Calgary Stampede daytime activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:11 PM
Gloria

I have tickets for the Chuckwagon Races and Show on July 8 and would like to know what activities beside the Rodeo are scheduled during the afternoon and early evening. I need to know what is going on in Stampede Park in order to decide whether to sightsee in Calgary itself until shortly before the Chuckwagon Races, or are there shows, exhibits, etc. of interest on the Stampede grounds?<BR>Approximately how far is Stampede Park from the Delta Bow Valley Hotel and would you advise driving or taking the train? <BR>Is there a mall near Olympic Park which will be serving the free Stampede Pancake Breakfast on July 9?<BR>Thanks for your advice.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:52 AM
Island Girl

In my opinion, the Stampede during the day is just like any other large fair. You would be better off exploring the city during the day. The Glenbow Museum has some interesting exhibits, and is located right downtown. There will be a breakfast every day right beside the Glenbow at "Rope Square" (Olympic Plaza when it's not Stampede time!). Heritage Park is also fun, although it's a bit further from downtown (you couldn't walk there). The Calgary Tower will give you a great view of the city and the mountains, and the restaurant revolves so it's a fun spot for a meal.<BR><BR>If I were you I would take the train to the Stampede grounds from the Delta. The trip will be about 5 minutes, and then you aren't dealing with finding a parking spot, and the traffic. Chinook Mall has a big breakfast during Stampede, but I'm not sure what date it would be. I'll bet they have a website, if you do a search.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:07 PM
Joy

We will also be at the Stampede during that period.<BR><BR>Do we need to buy tickets in advance for the Rodeo show in the afternoon or is it a place where every seat is a "good" seat?<BR><BR>Thanks,

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:56 AM
rita

Gloria and Island Girl, the Calgary Stampede has a website which will give you lots of information and allow you to book tickets. It is<BR><BR>www.calgarystampede.com

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Gloria

Island Girl, thanks very much for the advice about going to the Glenbow Museum instead of spending an afternoon on the Stampede grounds, and also that pancake breakfasts are given daily at Olympic Square.<BR>Rita, thank you also for replying. Joy, Rita is right about calgarystampede.com being helpful. Advance tickets might be necessary. I don't know. All I know is that from reading about the Stampede, I think it is very popular.