Calgary in late October 2000

May 8th, 2000, 05:03 PM
Marc Rand

Calgary in late October 2000

My wife and I will be in Calgary during the last 2 weeks in October. We need suggestions on comfortable, clean hotels/motels near the city action. What can we expect weatherwise at during this period? Also any festivals or events of interest? Thanks for any info you can provide.

May 23rd, 2000, 01:52 PM
Amanda

Well it seems you're coming to Calgary during a great time, but then again anytime is a great time in Calgary. As for hotels it really depends on your budget, hotels in the core can be pricy, but there is the Sandman downtown. However you can find cheaper hotels in Motel Village, its localed right across the street from the LRT (train) station. Calgary has a great night life, and a wide variety of places to go. Some nice pubs to go to are the James Joyce, on Steven Ave, and the Rose'n'Crown which is just off of 17ave. 17ave, and Kensington are 2 trendy little shopping areas not to be missed. Eau Claire Market is a great place to stop as well. The Glenbow Muesum is a nice place to spend and afternoon. Since you are coming in Late fall, it is great to catch a Stampeder football game. However buddle up cause there weather can be chilly. Well I hope you enjoy your stay in this great city.

May 24th, 2000, 04:50 AM
Tim

Marc,
In addition to Amanda's post, I'll add the following downtown hotels that are clean & comfortable, as well as reasonable priced: Ramada Downtown, International Hotel, and Delta Bow Valley. As a luxury option, try the Palliser Hotel....very nice.

Some of our favourite restaurants include Hy's Steak House, Caesar's Steak House (both on 4th Ave), and the Sultan's Tent (Morrocan food - on 17th Ave SW). Have a great time - Calgary is a great city!

Tim

May 26th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Jean

If you want to stay near the football stadium, there is a Super 8 just across the street. We stayed there last summer, & were pleasanlty surprised at the accomodations. We had a "room" with two sepaarate bedrooms. Not luxury, but clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced.

May 26th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Marilyn Rice Davies

The Best Western Suites Downtown is about seven blocks to the city centre, a four minute walk to the Rose and Crown, and a two minute walk to Brewster's Brew Pub. For outstanding food, there is Dante's in Penny Lane.
Check out Calgary Menus on the web.