Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Biking in Toronto Vs. public transportation.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it feasible to bike around the city instead of using public transportation? We are thinking of taking our bikes. Please advise. Also, we love to people watch and sit in cafes - any suggestions. What about the best place to shop with cool ecletic shops? Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:38 AM

It is indeed feasible, but there are a couple of issues.

The first is traffic, which is quite heavy in the downtown core and can really make riding difficult. There are really not many bike lanes anywhere in Toronto, unfortunately, so it is quite an obstacle course.

The second issue is the smog and car exhaust, which can be really tough on the lungs. It is becoming more common now to see cyclists wearing masks to try and cope.

The final issue is theft. If you bring your bikes, make sure you bring a good lock.

With public transportation so readily accessible, I think that bringing your bikes would only add to the complication of the trip.

For areas with cool eclectic shops, I would recommend Queen Street West (the area really starts west of John but the most interesting places are now west of Bathurst - you can walk the whole thing in an afternoon). You could also try College Street west of Bathurst for lots of nice cafes and people watching, as well as a few shops.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Depends on where you plan to bike and where you are staying. If downtown, it's pretty crazy with not alot of dedicated bike lanes. There are some nice recreational trails - off the beaten track - that take you to various parts of the city but then you have to ride on the streets. I would suggest public transit if exploring the city proper and take your bikes on the trails to get away from it all. Check out the following http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/map/map.htm and it should give you a better idea. Toronto is working on a plan to increase the number of dedicated bike lanes but it's a ten year plan! As far as cool and eclectic, you can't beat Queen St. W. of University and the Beach area - Queen St. E. of Coxwell. You can easily get to the Beach district on a paved bike route along the waterfront - Martin Goodman Trail. I'm sure more pedalheads will be responding to your post with other comments. Enjoy your visit!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM

My husband is a serious cyclist BUT he won't cycle downtown - too much traffic and gas fumes. He uses the cycle trails and the neighbourhood streets where we live. Also streecar tracks can be deadly to cyclists and there are a lot of those downtown.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Personally, I would not bike around the city. There is just too much traffic and pedestrians darting out from sidewalks to safely navigate the city.

Suggestions for cafes... well, one of my favourites to people watch is called the Everest Cafe on Queen St. W. right across the street from the Chum City building. They don't have the best coffee (stay away from the iced coffee/cappucino - it tastes like there's soap in it!), but the food is not bad.

Another one of my favourites is Futures a few blocks west of Bloor & Spadina. There is a relatively large patio and their cakes are to die for!

Then there is also Lettieri on Cumberland St. in Yorkville. It's more expensive than the other two, but if you're visiting Toronto in the summer, it's the best place to see any actors or actresses that are in town filming movies.

As for shopping, I'm with everyone else - Queen St. W. is the place to be!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM
BAK

More sidewalk coffee; At the cortner of John and Queen Street West, there is a Second Cup and a Starbucks. Make your choice depending on where he sun is shining and whether or not you want shade.

BAK
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Just wanted to reiterate others' message that the smog and humidity this summer have been overwhelming. We've had 27 official "smog alert days" since JUNE.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:33 PM

It certainly is very feasible to bike around Toronto. When I lived there it was my primary mode of tranportation. I went everywhere from suburbs to downtown on my bike. It is a great way to explore the city. There are lots of interesting residential areas that are fun to explore on two wheels. The warnings given above all have merit but if you are competant urban cyclists go for it.

One Toronto-specific traffic rule to be aware of is that you cannot pass streetcars while the (small) red above the rear door is lit unless it is stopped at an island which give the passengers a safe place to stand as the board or exit.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:06 PM

There is a great north/south bike trail system that leads from Lakeshore Blvd and the Don River all the way up to Steeles and Leslie. For a several block stretch you have to peddle on the street from Lawrence and Leslie up to Duncan Mills Road to catch the next trail. The trail in parts is wooded and it's hard to believe that you are in suburban Willowdale.

A good diversion is to temporarily exit the trail at Sunneybrook Hospital and peddle south on Bayview to the Leaside village. Restaurants, pubs, shops, Starbucks and gelato can be found here.

While travelling north, stops are at Starbuck's on York Mills
between Leslie and Don Mills and Starbucks on Laurel Leaf and Bayview in Thornhill.

A second path leads from the Lakeshore north up the Humber River to Steeles in Woodbridge.

The Lakeshore Boulevard has trails going west from downtown. Oakville is a fair hike but a good destination.
Stops are Whole Foods on Trafalgar, Starbucks in the downtown area and the marina.

Pedalling east leads you to the board walk in the Beaches.

Ontario is a great touring place - I've pedalled from Manitoulan Island to Stratford and back to Toronto.