Bikes - Vancouver

Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Bikes - Vancouver

I have read many posts - and people metion hiring a bike to cycle around the harbour wall in the park. Where do you hire these bikes from and roughly what is the cost.

Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:58 PM

http://www.bayshorebikerentals.ca/

Note that Vancouver has an extensive network of urban biking trails and nearby mountains offer some excellent sport.

http://www.rektek.com/rental.htm
Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:17 PM

I'm so glad you asked, I had the same question. Thanks Sam! Can you tell me about how long it would take to rollerblade the entire seawall? I'm wondering if my kids (12 and 14) could do it.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:40 PM

We took our own bikes, but stopped in a bike shop for a map. It was free of charge. There are lots of rental shops along Denman Street, near the park, and probably elsewhere.

The seawall around Stanley Pk took less than an hour to totally circle by bike, and there were rollerbladers skating nearly as fast. Of course if the kids stopped off at one of the pools, beaches or water features, it would take longer.

You are supposed to go counterclockwise and it is best to aim for off-hours as it is quite full of people, some of whom are going the wrong way or not paying attention. I think this is the major danger of the trail. Otherwise, it is mostly flat, with some gentle slopes that might challenge a beginning roller blader.

The trail continues way beyond the park, around the south side of the downtown area. There are very cool water taxis that will take you across to Granville Island, where you can visit the yummy market and shops. Also, you can continue along the south side traveling east, and go visit the neighborhood of Yale Town, with its outdoor eateries. You can continue all the way to the science center, which I imagine kids would love. And on it continues to the other side of the water.

It's a gorgeous ride, but it's very popular, as a result. Enjoy!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:09 AM

Orcas is spot on. I'd just reiterate that there are at least 5, if not more, bike shops around the Denman/Georgia Street intersection. That's where I'd head first for bikes. It's only a block away from the entrance to Stanley Park.