Bed and Breakfast in Victoria

Apr 18th, 2000, 10:07 AM
kim

Bed and Breakfast in Victoria

Has anyone ever stayed at either of these b&b's in Victoria, Dreemskerry Heritage House or Mozart House? They both look great from the web sites, but I'd like any input that anyone may have. My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Victoria the first weekend in September. Thanks in advance!
Kim

Apr 18th, 2000, 10:24 AM
sheri

Hi Kim, I haven't heard of either of those places, so hopefully someone has will jump in. Have you considered Abigails? I like it the best of the "romantic" B&Bs in Victoria. Then of course there's Sooke Harbour House if you're *really* up for a splurge.

BTW, don't I know you from somewhere (UOS board) ;-)

Sheri

Apr 18th, 2000, 03:22 PM
kim

Sheri,

Yes, I thought you might be from the other board, what a hoot!

I have checked into Abigails, but the room we wanted was a bit pricey. I will look again at their website, but I'm thinking it was about $200/night. We were trying to stay around $150/night, but want to make sure we have a wonderful honeymoon.

Kim

Apr 19th, 2000, 07:45 AM
rand

Obviously I have never stayed at either of those since I own a house here, but if you post their addresses I might have some input on the area.

Apr 19th, 2000, 09:11 AM
Margot

Hi Kim,
I haven't stayed at either of the B&B's that you're asking about, but I have stayed at a couple of other beautiful places in Victoria - the Gatsby Mansion and the Oak Bay Beach Hotel. Both are wonderful, with excellent food and beautiful views. I guess it depends on where you'd like to be in Victoria. The Gatsby is a B&B right across the street from the inner harbor downtown, do you're really close to a lot of activities there - the museum,shopping, Empress hotel,etc. The Oak Bay Beach is in a very quiet area near the ocean and a golf course, not too far from downtown, and is more like a large mansion than a hotel with beautiful rooms and lots of options for dinner cruises, fishing, etc. I love both places and would recommend either as wonderful honeymoon spots - just make sure that in the Gatsby, you ask for a room in the main mansion facing towards the bay, and in the Oak Bay, you ask for an ocean view room, higher up for the view. I'm sure that both spots have honeymoon specials as well. Check out www.vacationsbc.com/ for photos and numbers. Good Luck!

Apr 19th, 2000, 06:04 PM
April

I've not stayed at these bed and breakfasts either but I think you'd be fine no matter which you chose. Both are a bit out of town in a lovely residential neighbourhood which is great for walking (heritage houses, gardens, country-like lanes). I've always liked the look of Dreemskerry which is on a corner (St. Charles & Rockland Ave.) with a lane on the other side, virtually next door to the Lieutenant Governor's mansion. The Lieutenant Governor's mansion is nothing great in my opinion but it's on a large piece of property where you are free to roam the gardens. The rose garden there in its prime smells heavenly - and I'm not the biggest fan of rose gardens. On the outside Dreemskerry looks light, bright and very tidy.

A hop, skip and a jump away - well maybe three blocks or so (off of St. Charles), the Mozart House is tucked away on a dead end street with circular turn-around. They've used lots of yellow paint and the house sits closer to the road than one might expect. It is also a grand house with a yard I'd like to investigate.

Without knowing the proprietors and what the interiors are like, I can't say more than that.

Apr 21st, 2000, 03:46 AM
kim

Thank you for all of the wonderful posts. We really appreciate all the info. We will continue to research your suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Thanks Again,

Kim