Search

BC Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC Honeymoon

We're headed to BC for our honeymoon in mid-March. Our itinerary is as follows:

- Victoria: 2 nights (staying at Brentwood Bay lodge)

- Tofino: 4 nights (staying at Long Beach Lodge)

- Vancouver: 3 nights (staying at Westin Bayshore)

Neither of us have been to the area, and we'd love some tips and advice on transportation, restaurants, activities, etc. to make our honeymoon most memorable. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:17 AM

One suggestion that comes to mind right away is to do a trip to Hot Springs Cove when you're in Tofino. There are a number of companies that offer this; it's a day trip and is often combined with whale-watching. Check it out on Google and see what you can come up with - it's quite wonderful.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM

When we visited Tofino we ate at two excellent, though completely different, restaurants. The Common Loaf for breakfast or lunch. The Rainforest Cafe for dinner. We saw three orcas come right down the coast while we were walking in town! Everyone said that was most unusual.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:03 PM

I'd be interested to hear your review of the Brentwood Bay lodge. You'll be close to Butchart Gardens.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Your itinerary looks lovely, and you should have a great time.

I take it you're flying into Victoria and renting a car, or ?

The Lower Mainland has had ten days of sunshine but it's bound to end soon, so plan for some rain during your trip, especially for Tofino. Layers and a good raincoat/slicker will do the trick.

The Victoria experts can help you out there (or else do a search above).

Tofino, at that time of year, means to me: walking the beaches, eating and drinking well, and cozying up to fires with a good book and a glass of something pleasant in hand. Explore Tofino and Ucluelet (they're small towns). I'd personally leave kayaking and surfboard lessons for another time, but you might be a hardier soul. Meesthare's suggestions are great ones as well.

For Vancouver, you're staying in one of my favourite hotels: at the entrance of Stanley Park, an easy walk (or a cheap cab) to the downtown area, on the water (make sure you ask the hotel for a water view room). Some good restaurants are very close by: Au Cafe de Paris, just up Denman Street; Cardero's, a stone's throw away on the water from your hotel; on the other side of the Bayshore is a new, highly-touted restaurant, the name of which escapes me, but your concierge will assist you there. Look to ww.vanmag.com for a good overview of restaurants and shopping areas.

Things you might want to do (and do a search above - there have been many discussions about this): walk the seawall from your hotel around Stanley Park. Walk to False Creek North (or take the bus or a cab) and take the passenger ferry across to Granville Island. Have lunch, walk through the market and shops, and if the weather is good, walk the perimeter of the island (it's not long, and it's a another great water view). Walk Robson Street for shopping or, better yet, 4th Avenue or Broadway. If the weather is clear, take the tram to the top of Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver - another great view. Have a drink and snack. Visit the Vancouver Art Gallery and view the permanent collection of our Emily Carr. Go to Chinatown and walk the classical Chinese gardens of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen (and have dim sum, of course).

Some ideas...

Congratulations on your wedding!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

We're actually flying into YVR at 1:00 pm. Is making a 3:00 ferry to Victoria possible, considering we'll have checked luggage and we'll be picking up a rental car? Is this cutting it too close?
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:42 AM

It's cutting it close but is doable. do you have a ferry reservation? If not it's possible that you may have to wait for the next ferry which is probably at 5PM
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Do you have to clear customs? If so, you might be pushing it for the 3:00 sailing. Someone we know took an 11:00 am sailing on a Friday recently and said it was packed. With a reservation you are supposed to be at the terminal between 2:00 and 2:30 for a 3:00 sailing. If your flight is late or there is any other glitch you'd be out the $15 (or $17.50) reservation fee. On the other hand, if you're not late and everything clicks along, you'll be fine. And I don't know how sticky they are with that arrival time to the terminal anyway. I think I've seen cars drive into the reservation line just 5 or 10 minutes before the sailing time.

On the other hand, if you arrive at the terminal just half an hour before the sailing without a reservation, I'd say you'd be lucky to get on.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

We will have to clear customs. (No passports, just birth certificates and IDs)

If I make the ferry reservation and we don't make the boat, am I only out the $15 reservation fee? Can I then just use my purchased tickets for the next boat?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:49 AM

While in Tofino think about whale watching. Robson's Bight is not far away where the whales come for the "rubbing beaches" to clean their skins. There are resident pods and other travel from great distances. There are many types of boats for this - we took a sail boat (fewer people) and they also served us a lovely meal on board. The captain and his wife and on board scientist were all very knowledgeale and dropped a hydrophone into the water so we could hear the whale songs. Still one of the best memories we have of that trip.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Yes, you would just be out the $15 fee. Then you would buy a ticket for the next sailing which you most likely would be early enough for.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:40 AM

&quot;<i>While in Tofino think about whale watching. Robson's Bight is not far away where the whales come for the &quot;rubbing beaches&quot; to clean their skins. </i>&quot;
The poster '<i>Anni3</i>' is somewhat mixed up.
Tofino is a <b>6 hour drive</b> from the rubbing beaches of Robson Bight-which is on the <b>East Coast</b> of Vancouver Island-Tofino is on the <b>West Coast</b> of the Island.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Hmmmmmmm... a honeymoon with a number of different places to rest your head. Is that fairly unique? or is it just me not knowing enough?

(probably the latter)

Anyway, I'm GUESSING that a good deal of your honeymoon will be spent in transit and just wondering if you're going to make your next appointment.

At any rate, I mainly responded to suggest that you go and have dinner at the top of Grousse Mountain in Vancouver.

Just to get UP there you pay about $30 Cdn PER person, to ride a gondola up the side of a mountain. Then at the top you're at a mountain ski resort complete with snow and cold temps.

The view from up there is stunning, and I recommend timing your time at the top to straddle sunset. This leaves viewing time in the daylight, then an impressive sunset, followed by night viewing.

The restaurant is probably expensive but the view can't be beat! And when it is your honeymoon, it could really feel good after you got hot under the collar when trying to make a nearly impossible ferry connection.

Spend some of your Vancouver late nights strolling Robson street (and maybe Granville too)... I don't know of another city on the continent where as many SANE people are out walking the streets safely at night.

Victoria: my favorite sight there is &quot;Craigdarroch Castle&quot;... and a couple of (young?) honeymooners could walk up there after dark to see it lit up in eerie fashion (after, perhaps, a daytime visit).

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Male, I wasn't suggesting the honeymooners have a dinner up the top of Grouse - it's a great place for enjoying the view with a drink or coffee, but I wouldn't waste one of my Vancouver dinners up there. Too many good places to dine at.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:09 AM

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful time! I live in Tofino so here's my advice. Don't book any tours until you get here. You don't want to be tied into something if the weather isn't behaving! The Grey Whales will definitely be here and Hot Springs is a nice trip. You can go by boat or take a sea plane or combination of both.
Long Beach Lodge is lovely!! They have a very nice dining room and serve smaller menu items in their great room/lounge. The Raincoast Cafe is excellent as is The Shelter.The very best lunches and fabulous coffee can be found at Cafe Vincente! They also have internet if you're needing that. You'll have your days full if you do nothing but walk the beaches and explore the trails in the National Park. Tofino is a charming wee town and there is a wonderful walk in Ucluelet that goes around the lighthouse point. Remember that this area is in a rainforest so bring appropriate clothing! I absolutely love it here in the rain!!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

please expound a bit on &quot;appropriate clothing.&quot; we're city slickers who don't get the chance to traipse around in rainforests very often.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:32 AM

Waterproof (not water resistant) raincoat or slicker, hiking boots, hiking socks (i.e. not dress pants socks), mitts or gloves, tuque (I'm a baseball hat person, though), waterproof mascara (a must!), and the usual layering items (a turtleneck, sweater, fleecies, etc.).

If you're sailors, just bring that stuff.

I'm not a rainpant person, but you'll see lots of people wearing them. I just wear my usual jeans (but I do get wet - a hot bubble bath afterwards does the trick!)
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:18 AM

I don't think you really need hiking boots. Locals never wear them. . Do make sure you have good running shoes or similar and make sure you have 2 pair of shoes in case one pair gets wet. If you don't have appropriate rain gear you can purchase very cheaply in Tofino. Some of the lodges and hotels provide rain jackets so check with Long Beach Lodge and see if they lend raingear. It doesn't always rain here but one must be prepared I always say!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM

I agree that you may not want to have a dinner at the top of Grouse. I've lived in Vancouver all my life and I never once recall anyone commenting on or reading any reviews of the Observatory fine dining restaurant up there. It is not a restaurant that people talk about here. However, if you do decide to go there for dinner, reserve in advance and the gondola up the mountain is free - not the $30 suggested by NorthwestMale.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:38 PM

We thought the restaurant looked awful and didn't eat there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -