Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banff vs Canmore vs Kananaskis as a base?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Elaine

Does anyone have any advice as to which of the following hotels would be best as a base for a summer golf vacation? <BR><BR>Kananaskis: Delta Lodge<BR>Canmore: Radisson or Sheraton Four Points<BR>Banff: Rimrock (This one would be splurging)<BR><BR>Alternatively, should we spend a couple of days at each of them since we would like to golf at courses in each of those areas? <BR><BR>Any commemts or other suggestions would be most helpful. Each of those areas is so close to the others that I can't figure out which plan makes the most sense.<BR><BR>Thanks for any input.<BR><BR>Elaine

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Rita

Elaine, the "village" at Kananaskis where the Delta is located is very isolated (beautiful tucked away in the mountains but isolated neverless). It is a village consisting of three hotels, no residents live there except for the workers in the hotels. You may find the atmosphere fairly tame and quiet after you get off the golf course. The drive to Canmore (nearest town) is about 35 minutes and Banff is about 45 minutes.<BR><BR>The Sheraton in Canmore is located just off of the main highway on the opposite side to the town and in my opinion not a great location for a hotel. I've often wondered why Sheraton choose to place the hotel in this location and not closer to the townsite. In Canmore you will find many things to do in the evening. I do not know where the Radisson is in Canmore. <BR><BR>The Rimrock is a nice hotel pearched on the cliff overlooking the Banff townsite and surrounding mountains. In my opinion it would offer the most "creature comforts" and diversity of things to do after you get off of the golf course. The drive to the golf courses in Canmore is about 15 minutes from the hotel.<BR><BR>If I were you I would spend one or two nights in Kananaskis and then move onto either Canmore or Banff for your next base. Splitting time and staying in both Canmore and Banff doesn't really make allot of sense as they are both so close to each other.<BR><BR>One note to keep in mind . . . this year's G8 Conference is being held in Kananaskis (in June I think) so you might want to check your dates and make sure you are avoiding the conference.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Elaine

<BR>Thanks, Rita.<BR><BR>Is there a better choice of hotel or lodge in which to stay in Kananaskis? I am only aware of the Delta Lodge. We are going in August, so the G8 Conference will be long over.<BR><BR>Are we better off, however, to stay just in Banff and drive to Kananaskis, as well as Canmore, for golf before going up to Jasper for a day or two rather than moving about so much?<BR><BR>We are planning on spending about 6 or 7 days golfing and sightseeing, and the fewer hotels we have to check into and out of, the easier it will be. On the other hand, it might be nice to stay at Kananaskis for two nights if the lodging is beautiful enough to warrant it.<BR><BR>Do you also have any recommendations for Jasper, other than Jasper Park Lodge?<BR><BR>Thanks again for your help.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Rita

Elaine,<BR><BR>The village at Kananaskis has three hotels each one offering different styles and amenities. It has been a few years since I stayed there and I think the hotels have switched hands a few times since. From what I remember the "Hotel at Kananaskis" was a CP property which is now managed by Fairmont Hotels. It would be the top of the line accomodation. I believe the Delta is the mid-range hotel and then the Best Western as the budget family accomodation. All of the hotels are clustered around in a village atmosphere. The golf course (a spectacular course I have heard although I am not a golfer) is located just down the hill. <BR><BR>If you are worried about checking in and out of hotels then I would recommend staying for the duration of your stay in Banff. However, the isolation of Kananaskis might be a nice change for one or two nights. If I were you I would stay at Kananaskis for two nights and then go onto Banff and stay there untill you head up to Jasper.<BR><BR>In Banff you might want to look at Buffalo Mountain Lodge as an alternative to the Rimrock. It is located up on Tunnel mountain a short 20 minute walk into the townsite. I have raved about the property many times on this website (it is my favorite place to stay in Banff) so if you do a search you will come up with my comments. My favorite rooms are the Premier Rooms with the claw foot tubs, huge fireplaces and small balconies looking out into the forest. The website is www.crmr.com <BR><BR>If you know the dates you are going to be in the area then I would suggest you book your tee times soon. I've heard that in the summer tee times can be hard to come by at the courses.<BR><BR>I cannot help you out in Jasper as it has been many years since I've been through there. I have friends that go every year and they love the little chalets at the Jasper Park Lodge. It too is a Fairmont Resort so if you want to look at it and the Kananaskis property log onto <BR>www.fairmonthotels.com<BR><BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:14 AM
rita

Elaine,<BR><BR>I just did a search and the property at Kananaskis which is the "upscale" one is this website. It appears it is no longer a Fairmont property<BR><BR>http://www.kananaskismountainlodge.com/<BR><BR>I believe the Delta is a combination of the two other hotels. <BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 12:50 PM
canuck

I stayed at the Delta Kananaskis over the Christmas holidays for one night. I was underwhelmed! It is a beautiful area but not much going on! We found the service at the Delta lacking but maybe they were busy over that time of the year. I agree that it was isolated. Now Banff - it's beautiful. Last year stayed at a lodge there (condo type arrangement) again over Christmas. Lots more to do and see. Didn't golf (obviously!) but I'd choose Banff.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:45 AM
jim

All the hotels you mentioned are very nice. One warning about Banff. In summer it is VERY: crowded, touristy and overpriced. Canmore is not as bad, is just as pretty, and I recommend it over Banff. <BR>In Jasper, try the Pyramid Lake resort- about 2 miles from downtown. Again, the J.P.L. is hidiously overpriced in peak season.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:51 AM
jim

ps- I dont know how set you are on Banff for your golf holiday, but if you are flexible you should look into the Panorama/ Invermere area in BC (about a 90m miunte drive from Banff). They have about 5 spectacular courses within 30 minutes drive of each other (I think they have the Banff/Canmore courses beat hands down) and I think the area is much nicer. It tends to have much more reliable weather, too, even in the summer.If you are interested the coureses are:<BR>The Springs at Radium<BR>Eagle Ranch at Invermere<BR>Grey Wolf at Panorama<BR>Riverside at Fairmont<BR>Mountainside at Fairmont<BR>Trickle Creek at Kimberley<BR>Golden Golf and Country club. These last 2 are about an hour from Invermere. You wont be disappointed

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Elaine

Again, thank you for your replies. I really appreciate all your advice.<BR><BR>Jim, I would love to have gone to Panorama, and was looking forward to golfing at both Grey Wolf and Eagle Ranch, but my husband doesn't want to drive such a windy mountainous route even for only an hour and a half. We were told that there can be low clouds in the summer, and the thought of driving that road in fog conditions terrifies me as well. So, unfortunately we'll have to stick to Canmore or Banff.<BR><BR>Is there as much to do in Canmore in the evenings and on the days we aren't golfing as there is in Banff? Do you have hotel or lodge recommendations for Canmore - something fairly upscale, but not ridiculously overpriced? <BR><BR>Rita, I have booked the first two nights of our trip at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis,as you suggested,to break up the trip a little, rather than staying 5 or 6 days in one place. Thanks for your advice about booking tee times. They are already scarce.<BR><BR>If we stay in Banff next, what do you think of the Ptarmigan Inn? There is a nicely priced golf package available there,but I can't find much information about it on the internet.<BR><BR>"Canuck", I hope I won't be too disappointed in the Delta at Kananaskis , but I am not expecting the "Ritz", and I am really there for the golf, so it will probably be just fine for a couple of nights. I'll let you know what I thought of it when we're back, if you like.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Jim

Hi Elaine:<BR>My wife & I did exactly what you are planning last August. First off I agree with the other Jim - Go to Radium!The roads are great and the weather on that side of the mountains last August was fantastic. The courses Jim mentioned are really great also. We played all of them except Fairmont. <BR>But, you don't want to go there - SO. We stayed 2 nites in Banff, sightseeing only. Very crowded and very over priced but a neat place to visit . Stay in Canmore. It is a neat little town. Can't help you with Hotels because we stayed in B&B's. A more personal and a lot cheaper way to go. We played the Canmore course and drove down to Kan and played the Mt Kidd course. It is about a 50 minute drive from Canmore. If you want to play both courses at Kan, then I would spend at least one night there. There courses are beautiful. The drive to Jasper is fantastic and will take all of one day ,at least, if you stop at Lake Louise, the glaciers and all the other spots along the way. Again , we stayed in a B&B but did visit the Jasper Lodge. It is fine but a lot of small cabins located all over the place, didn't play golf there.<BR>Make your tee times NOW!!! I was amazed at all the people that are there for nothing but golf, especially at Kan.<BR>We are heading to the Quebec area this year. Next year probably back to BC & Alberta - it's great.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:17 PM
beth

We used Radisson in Canmore as our base last year. it was great . it had a kitchen and the rooms were great. Banff is too crowded in the summer months. it's nice to go a visit but nice to get out of town. Canmore has some quant coffee shops and a great restaurant with a patio... the lifestyle is much more laid back in canmore.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Anne

The Jasper Park Lodge has a fantastic dining room. We had a memorable dinner there w/great food , overlooking the lake.Another great place to stay AND their fine dining room is in Post Hotel in Lake Louise.<BR>Money well spent ! Wonderful memories.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:23 AM
alberta

i live in alberta and i heard this morning that a guy phoned yesterday to get t-times in kananaskis for july and he was only offerred two times during a two-day period...so, if you haven't already, get those booked.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:36 PM
Elaine

Alberta, your friend was correct about the tee-times. I booked last week for August, and already couldn't get my first choice of times at some of the courses. Tell your friend to try again though, because I called one course back several days later and they had a cancellation so I was able to get a better time.<BR>