Reload this Page >

Banff to Jasper in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 06:09 AM
Gloria L

We are in the early planning stages of a trip <BR>to Banff & Jasper Nat'l Parks in mid to late September. We are wondering if we make <BR>reservations in Banff, can we safely go without making reservations the rest of the way this time of year? We thought of doing this in case the weather is bad one or two days and we wouldn't be ruled by having to be somewhere on a certain day. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 07:28 AM
Bob Brown

My trips to Banff that late in the season indicate that you can find a place to stay. In Jasper, you should have the same success. Jasper has many "Parks Approved" accommodations in private homes that I have seen advertising when I drove through the residential areas. You might want to write Jasper National Park Headquarters and ask the Information Desk for a list of "Parks Approved Accommodations." <BR>Many of these places are quite nice and cost less than conventional motels and hotels. Even if the better hotels are full, you should be able to find something. That time of year is considered "shoulder" season in Jasper and, as a result, you should find something without much trouble. My visits have been about a week to two weeks earlier than what you pl;an, and the change of seasons is rather abrupt. I can understand your logic there because the mountains are not much fun if it rains. It seems to be cloudy a lot in that part of Canada as it is. <BR>

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 07:28 AM
Bob Brown

My trips to Banff that late in the season indicate that you can find a place to stay. In Jasper, you should have the same success. Jasper has many "Parks Approved" accommodations in private homes that I have seen advertising when I drove through the residential areas. You might want to write Jasper National Park Headquarters and ask the Information Desk for a list of "Parks Approved Accommodations." <BR>Many of these places are quite nice and cost less than conventional motels and hotels. Even if the better hotels are full, you should be able to find something. That time of year is considered "shoulder" season in Jasper and, as a result, you should find something without much trouble. My visits have been about a week to two weeks earlier than what you pl;an, and the change of seasons is rather abrupt. I can understand your logic there because the mountains are not much fun if it rains. It seems to be cloudy a lot in that part of Canada as it is. <BR>

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 11:34 AM
Gloria L

To: Bob Brown - when do you recommend <BR>is the very best time to travel to Banff <BR>and Jasper weather-wise? Would like to <BR>avoid crowds also if possible, however, I know that may not be possible. Thanks!

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 01:16 PM
Bob Brown

Late August seems to be a good time to visit the Canadian Rockies, however, there are still a lot of people visiting at that time of year. The period immediately after Labor Day is usually ok. But mountains often cause rain, so the rest of Alberta can be sunny but the mountains are rainy. Last summer was particularly rainy so I was told, until late in August. It is a hit or miss proposition because weather is not predictable, particularly in the mountains. I think your idea of not locking yourself in is a good idea. <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 03:35 PM
Randy

You can grab some great deals in late sept. through late october but some of the fun and warmth is gone. I don't know what Bob is talking about with cloud though, Alberta is one of the sunniest places in this latitude in the world. July and August are prime time in the parks. Best weather but lots of crowds. September is less likely to be cloudy but the evenings can be cold, also some likelyhood of snow. June is a great month to go but can be rainy. We have a saying in Alberta "if you don't like the weather here, wait a minute, it will change. I've lived my whole life in Alberta, and have seen snow in Jasper in August. I've also seen gorgeous sunny days in the 70s in October. Remember that due to the latitude we have very long days at the end of june, providing warm evenings and the chance to soend more of the day outdoors. This would probably be the biggest reason I would recommend you come in June as opposed to september. Also with kids back to school in sept. and ski season 2 months away, some facilities are shut down. Miette hot springs, at the eastern edge of Jasper park, closes labour day monday for the winter. Banff, more commercial, will still have pretty much everything open. September would not require reservations, if you can't find accomadations in the big 4stars you can still find something in the more economical hotels or better yet the b&b's. Check bbalberta.com

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 03:40 PM
Randy

Sorry that should read albrtabb.com for bed and breakfasts in alberta.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 09:18 PM
Bob Brown

In response to the comment about rain, I have reference to that wet stuff that falls out of the sky. Sometimes it is liquid; sometimes solid, with the solid form being sleet and snow and sometimes hail. <BR>Last summer when we stopped for supplies in Canmore, the local shop keepers were telling me that it had rained a great deal that summer. We could see black clouds hovering over the mountains to the west of us. <BR>In years past, I have walked through snow on August 24 with the clouds so low that I about fell into Lake Oesa before I saw it, and I trudged through s sleet storm one afternoon on the Iceline Trail in Yoho. Last summer, as we were leaving Twin Falls in Yoho Park, all hail broke lose and it rained on us most of the way back to the Takakkaw Falls parking area. And we got a regular downpour in Calgary. I don't deny that the plains of Alberta are sunny; in fact, Drumheller in September can be downright hot, but it rains frequently in the mountains. Often clouds hang around even if there is no active precipitation. In three tries at Jasper, staying two to three days each time I have never had one clear day!! That was the day we could see the top of Mount Robson, some 8,000 feet above us.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 10:20 AM
Randy

Bob: <BR>Comment was not meant to imply that you didn't have these expewriences. I live 200 miles from Jasper and go frequently. <BR>In fact last year I went at the end of June and had one sunny day, one day with clouds, and one day it rained like crazy. As we went to go mountain biking on the trails, this was disheartening to say the least. Bu as I also said"If you don't like the weather here, wait a minute, it will change". By the middle of the next week it was hot and sunny. Quite frequently, in fact, the weather in the mountains defies all logic and is warmer and sunnier than at the lower elevations to the east. In reference to last year, we had a pretty crappy summer all over the province. I'm 42 years old and have been going to Jasper and Banff since I was in diapers. I remember a lot more sunny spring and summer days than cloudy ones. September, as a rule should be sunnier in september than in may or june, but there is an increased likelyhood of snow. <BR>Average precipitations and temp. for Banff <BR>May 3cm High 59 F. Low 34 F. <BR>June5.5cm High 65 F. Low 41 F. <BR>July5cm High 72 F. Low 59 F. <BR>August4.8cm High 70 F. Low 57 F. <BR>September3.7cm High 61 F. Low 38 F. <BR>For Jasper <BR>May3cm High 61 F. Low 35 F. <BR>June5.5cm High 67 F. Low 43 F. <BR>July5cm High 74 F. Low 59 F. <BR>August4.8cm High 70 F. Low 57 F. <BR>September3.7cm High 61 F. Low 40 F. <BR>(for con version 2.54cm=1 inch) <BR>My information was purely to supplement yours, and the I don't know what Bob is talking about was a weak attempt at humour. Hope I didn't offend you.