Reload this Page >

Banff Springs Hotel renovation!?!?!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:52 AM
Barbara

I was advised that the Banff<BR>Springs Hotel is undergoing renovation construction in the lobby, rooms and<BR>restaurant. Does anyone know about how much it's affecting the comfort of guests? It's sooo expensive to stay there. If its dusty and noisy, (in August), we won't be happy campers and will want to reconsider now, while we still can. Thanks.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:19 PM
traveller

I hadn't heard about a renovation but that certainly doesn't mean it isn't happening. It is, after all, a very old hotel. If you search this web site, you will find that many people prefer the Post Hotel. Having not been to Banff in years, I am really not a great deal of help but check out www.discoveralberta.com and perhaps you can get more information. Good Luck.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Barbara

I have read loads about the Post Hotel and would love to stay there ... but not when it's a family trip with our 7 year old daughter. I think the Banff Springs Hotel "castle" will be quite exciting for her -- and I'm sure it can't too terrible there. I was just wondering about the renovation. Since my original post, I have learned that since Fairmont took over the hotel from CP, they have alotted a $1.5 million butget for restoration. It is expected to be completed in about a year from now. Not too bad!!!

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Brian Kilgore

Take the kid to the castle. Good choice. Plus the museum just by the bridge at the end the main downtown street. <BR> <BR>Canadian Pacific has owned, and still owns, the Banff Springs Hotel since it was first built. CP bought the Fairmont operation, and changed the names of many of its properties, to include the Fairmont word. For what it is worth, CP also owns the Princess chain of resort hotels. <BR> <BR>Another favorite attraction for the child will be the prairie dogs, and it wil;l be worthwhile to drive up to Lake Louise and look at the hotel there, and she'll probably be fascinated by the glaciers if you drive up to the Columbia Icefields. <BR> <BR>Bring extra canvas shoes and spare socks, because she'll probably want to walk int he Bow River, at least until her feet get really cold. <BR> <BR>Enjoy Banff. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Rita

Regarding the Banff Springs Renovation. I was at the Springs at the beginning of June for a wedding and yes there appeared to be ongoing renovations. Although I did not stay at the Springs (I have my own favorite hotel in Banff) the renovations were mostly going on outside the hotel. There appeared to be construction materials around the back (the side overlooking the golf course) of the hotel but the front was finished. In fact I did not see any inside the hotel. Being a frequent visitor to the Springs I can say that the CP/Fairmont people have done a wonderful job -- the new lobby is spectacular. <BR> <BR>If you are worried about renovations why don't to call Fairmont Hotels and ask as to the status?