Banff or Canmore Accomodations?

Mar 30th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Banff or Canmore Accomodations?

We (3 brothers) are planning a golf trip to Banff in August. Current plans include staying 4 nights, playing 3 or 4 rounds of golf with possibly one day trip(hiking/sightseeing). Our tentative plans are to stay in Canmore at the Residence Inn in a 2 bedroom suite. We like the idea of staying in the same room but don't want to be tripping over each other. Any opinion on 1)Staying in Banff vs. Canmore, 2) Recommended Accomodations, and 3) Recommended golf outfitters would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 30th, 2004, 08:48 PM

Canmore is two minutes from Banff National Park eastern gates and another 10 minutes on the Trans Canada divided highway to Banff townsite (yes, I've timed it!!), so there isn't much of a difference in terms of location.

Canmore has become very tourist oriented recently, just in the last 20 years or so (it was a mining town till sometime in the 1970's, and then it was briefly a place where artists lived - until it became too expensive - and now it is geared to tourism and mountain sports).
Lately there has been a building boom of new accommodation in Canmore, so you are more likely to find a newer place than you are in Banff. Plus Canmore accommodation has gone in an interesting direction - you can actually rent furnished condos (townhouses), two-three bedrooms plus kitchen, more than one bathroom etc., while the accommodation in Banff tends to be more conventional (hotels, motels, cabins, etc.).

Sorry, can't help with your golf question except to say that there are several golf courses in the area.
Mar 30th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Hello Edgerton74.

I don't play golf, so am not much help in that department. I don't know what you mean by a golf outfitter. Do you mean a place from which you can rent clubs? As far as I understand, golf courses have pro shops attached to them, and I believe one can rent clubs from the pro shops.

I did a Google search for GOLF OUTFITTER + BANFF, and didn't find anything.

There are stores in Calgary that sell golf equipment, but I can't remember seeing anything like that in Banff or Canmore (not that I've ever consciously been looking for golf equipment in Banff or Canmore -- or anywhere else -- mind you).

As to the question of whether to stay in Banff or Canmore, Borealis already has given you quite a bit of information. I'll add that it depends on what you want. People who like to party a lot tend to be attracted to Banff. While Canmore has boomed, as Borealis said, Banff still is the bigger of the two towns, and has more of a critical mass of party-oriented folk in its pubs and restaurants.

(When I say Banff is "bigger," that's a relative term. It's still just a ski resort town, and way smaller than a city.)

When my husband and I go to the mountains, we're usually going there for a long weekend to get away from it all. Consequently Canmore appeals to us more than Banff does. Banff in any case is close enough (as Borealis indicated) that one can pop in there for dinner.

We like Lady Macdonald Country Inn and the Georgetown Inn in Canmore, but I think the ambience in those establishments is too feminine for 3 guys. The rooms in the Georgetown Inn also would be on the small side if you had golf bags with you.

I've never been into the Marriott Residence Inn, but have seen it from the outside. It looks fine. Maybe there is a bad Marriott somewhere in the world, but I haven't come across one yet.

Borealis posted a complimentary review about the reasonably priced Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge in Canmore after she'd stayed there quite recently (February 2004 if I recall correctly). Borealis, when I looked up Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge's website following your message about it, I got the impression the accommodation was in the form of suites or apartments (i.e., it seemed to me there were kitchen facilities). I hope I understood that correctly.

Edgerton74, if you spend a day sight seeing, I suggest you drive to Moraine Lake, my favourite lake, which is 14 km from Lake Louise. Recommend you do this first, as that will enable you to beat the tour buses that fill up the Moraine Lake parking lot in the late morning.

After Moraine Lake, have a look at Lake Louise.

You can do a nice hike either from Moraine Lake or Lake Louise.

Good spots for lunch are the Post Hotel in Lake Louise village or Deer Lodge, a stone's throw from the lake of Lake Louise.

After lunch return to Banff via the Bow Valley Parkway (Route #1A), and stop at Johnston Canyon. Walk into the canyon up to the lower falls or, better yet, the upper falls.

Another way to spend this day would be to drive from Canmore to Lake Louise and then from Lake Louise north along the Icefields Parkway until the Columbia Icefields, where you can ride a Snocoach on the Athabasca Glacier. Then return to Canmore.

Beautiful as the scenery from the Icefields Parkway is, though, I prefer getting out of the car and into the forest. That's why I suggest doing a hike in the vicinity of Moraine Lake or Lake Louise. (Alternatively, it would be possible to hike from Johnston Canyon to the Ink Pots.)

If you have only one day in which to do non-golf stuff, I would include some hiking.

Hope this helps.
Mar 30th, 2004, 10:32 PM

Hi Judy,
Yes the Rocky Mountain Ski Resort (which isn't just for skiers!) has "suites" (living room-kitchen, bathroom and bedroom; there are also loft units meant to accommodate families and would probably be fine for three brothers), plus there are also the usual motel type rooms at the "resort".
The floor plans provided on the website are accurate, the only thing that you can't tell from them is the size of each unit. They are not big. I estimate that the one bedroom suite that we stayed in was approximately 450 sq. ft.; and of course the loft units are larger. The units were clean and simply furnished, and the rates were exceptionally good.

We have never stayed at the Residence Inn, but it is in a much better location than Rocky Mountain Ski Resort, and looks much newer.
Mar 31st, 2004, 10:54 AM
ltt

you may want to consider spending a day in kananaskis provincial park. a lot of people have said that it is one of the best golf courses in the province. it is a beautiful area. not too far of a drive from canmore - guesing at an hour.