Reload this Page >

Banff New Years Eve

Search

Banff New Years Eve

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 08:00 AM
Rachel

Banff New Years Eve

I've been reading in dismay all the negative postings about Banff Springs Hotel! We're to spend a week there over New Years Eve, and now I hope we wont be too disappointed! We're hoping to spend most of of days (learning...) snowboarding, so maybe the accommodation won't be an issue. <BR> <BR>Anyway, what I really need to know, as its our first visit to Canada and our first visit to ski fields of any description (green would be an understatement!) What do we need to bring??! Should we leave it until we get there to buy our ski/snowboarding clothes? I looked at some snowbaording jackets here and they start at about £230 (Sterling). <BR> <BR>Any suggestions of where in Banff to head for the New Years celebrations? <BR> <BR>Please, no negative cooments about Banff Springs, I couldn't handle it now as we've already paid for the holiday!

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 04:54 AM
Rachel

Oh...another question, can anyone recommend a good snowboarding school in Banff? Would you recommend buying ski lift passes for all three areas for the whole week, or just one area, or can we just buy day passes? <BR>Would it be worth hiring a car to venture further out, or should we just stick to this area and conetrate on all it has to offer?

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 12:18 PM
sue

<BR>Hire a car because there are no ski hills right in Banff (except Norquay, too steep and too icy). Heading west from Banff you will find Sunshine (they have sno board rentals and instruction). You can likely get a bus to Sunshine if you have no vehicle. Also there is good skiing at Lake Louise (about 20 minutes farther west of Sunshine). Don't buy ski clothing in Britain you can get better and cheaper in Banff. <BR>Don't worry about the Banff Springs, it's fine. They are renovating to change the whole front entrance. It's a sort of Scottish castle theme and the oldest rooms are small and very basic, the new section has larger rooms so you may have a choice. Beautiful views, lots of deli's and restaurants and a beautiful swimming pool. Oh yeah and lots of shops too. Don't miss going up the Gondola on Sulphur Mountain and check out the hot springs pool (it's what you do after skiing). If the weather is too cold for skiing (and it can be) the Luxton Museum and the Whyte Museum are both good. Also check out the little tour of the Cave and Basin. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 03:11 PM
Kenton

The Springs is a nice hotel - quintessential "Canadian." If you're looking for majestic views coupled with old world charm - this is the hotel. If you can , considering that British pounds are worth @ $2.50 CAD, check if they have a "turret" room (top floor) of the main section of the hotel. It comes with jetted tub and the views are amazing. Also, the Alberta Room (in the Springs) should be hosting some sort of a lavish affair which would be good. Other hotels to consider for the gala would be Lake Louise (beautiful) or the Rimrock Hotel. There are also many fine hotels in Canmore (about 15 minutes outside of Banff - you'll pass it on your way from Calgary). By the way, Sunshine and Lake Louise are better bets for snowboarding (Louise may be the best bet; longest runs in N. America). Buy your clothing in one of the ski outlets in Calgary (cheap place is SportChek - located in most major shopping malls). <BR>Again, have a great time and welcome to Alberta - I hope you enjoy your stay. <BR>If you need any more information, contact me or my wife at [email protected] <BR>See ya !

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 04:46 AM
Rachel

Thanks for your replies, I hope you don't think I'm rude not replying sooner, but I haven't logged into this site for a while!