Reload this Page >

Banff/LL/Jasper. . .& Vancouver??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Lila

We are planning a 2 week vacation this July. We're planning to fly into Calgary but drive directly to Banff. We've booked 6 nights at the Rimrock Resort (our Banff/LL base), then we want to drive (Icefield Pkwy) to Jasper where I booked 3 nights at Beckers' Chalet (should we stop along the Pkwy for a night - I know there isn't many places to stay but don't want to rush the trip from Banff to Jasper - I've heard over and over how fantastic this drive is). This leaves us 5 nights. What I am wondering is 6 nights in Banff/Lake Louise enough to see the sights (we don't want to be rushed, want to relax inbetween seeing all the sights) and 3 nights in Jasper enough. Because if these 9 nights are enough for the area, we were thinking of either driving (or taking the Rocky Mountaineer) from Jasper to Vancouver for a few days and fly out of Vancouver. Would you all recommend this trip to Vancouver (by car or train)? Or should we just stick to the Rockies for the whole 2 weeks. Did I pick well in booking the Rimrock Resort and Beckers (debating over Beckers or the Overlander - however would appreciate any suggestions for where to stay in Jasper - would love to stay at the Jasper Park Lodge but even in US dollars, it's so expensive)? Thank you so very much for any comments/suggestions you can offer me.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Gus Mitchell

If you are not hikers, you may find 6 nights in Banff a little long. Banff is a funny place, people either love it or hate it---very very touristy in the summer. While in the Banff area, take a trip to Johnstons Canyon -- nearer Lake Louise. You could even do a day trip into the BC Rockies area down highway 93 to Radium Hot Springs.<BR>The Banff Jasper highway is lovely and it goes with out saying, stop at the Columbia Ice Fields. Also a side trip into some of the smaller lakes is worthwhile, particularly Maligne Lake near Jasper. Jasper is very quiet compared to Banff but great if you like hiking.<BR><BR>I would definitely take the trip to Vancouver -- drive, not the train. In fact I might cut out a couple of days in the Rockies and give yourself a little time to see the rest of the province -- quite lovely. The train trip is nice but you could take a route by car that would take you through a greater variety of terrain. Out of Banff take highway #1 to Golden / Revelstoke --called the Rogers Pass and is spectacular. Then highway 97A south from Sicamouse down through the Okanagan Valley -- this is a hot summer valley where most our fruit is grown and is the major wine producing region of Canada. Lovely lake( about 100 miles long ) and great beaches.<BR>Kelowna is the main city but Vernon and Penticton are also fairly large. Head south down 97 to Kaleden then 3A to Keremeos then west on #3 to Princeton then south over the coast mountains to Hope. Highway #1 from Hope takes you right into Vancouver -- which is worth at least three days.<BR><BR>cheers, enjoy<BR>Gus Mitchell Arbutus House B&B, Vancouver.<BR><BR>PS if you want just about all the information you will need on Vancouver, see our website at www.arbutushouse.com

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:10 PM
April

The above was good until the ad at the end. Anyway, with 2 weeks I would also include Vancouver.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:52 AM
Todd

We're also going to Banff/Jasper/LL in July.<BR><BR>We're staying in Canmore and wondered whether going out to Lake Louise and perhaps stopping at Johnston Canyon plus doing the short hike at LL is do-able in a day trip.<BR><BR>How long is the hike at Johnston?<BR><BR>Thanks,

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:30 AM
rk

Canmore to Lake Louise is about 1 hour via TransCanada #1. However, take the 1-A highway just past Banff to get to Johnston Canyon, nice quiet road, more animals (Mt. goat and elk). Johnston Canyon walk? You have options as to how long you want to walk. The path for most of the walk is paved. First falls is about 1/2 mile one way, about an hour round trip. Upper falls and beyond to paint pots, 2+ hours round trip. Do at least the lower falls as the walk is one of the best easy walks in the parks. Lake Louise area, lots of good walks of varying levels. The lake walk is on the right side of the lake. If you only go to the end of the lake and back, about 1 hour return. Another great hike is to go up to the Lake Agnes tea house, above Lake Louise on the right side of the valley. 3+ hours return, based on your level, and there is a actual tea house at the lake where you can stop and have sonething to eat, HOME MADE ON SITE.<BR>