Search

Banff/Jasper/Glacier any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banff/Jasper/Glacier any suggestions?

Hey everyone,

based on advices I got from US part of this forum we decided to skip US Glacier park and go straight to Banff
(http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35029336)

we are starting at Spokane, will have 7-8 days and will be doing tent camping, driving and day hikes. What are the "must visit" spots there? How busy are the parks in the end of July? Will we have trouble with unreserved camping spots? How cold will it be at night?What kind of food can we bring from US and what are the things that are not allowed over the border?
Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM

I answered on the US form, but you did not pose your food question there.
I would NOT try to bring fresh fruit into British Columbia. Once we crossed at the same border crossing you will be using and we had to eat all of our fresh plums.

July is a busy time. That is why I suggested stopping your first night in Kootenay, which is a less crowded area.

You can expect the other campgrounds to fill early, particularly those near Lake Louise. The tent walk-in campground at Takkakaw Falls is tents only and does not fill quite as fast. It is a good camp ground, I have walked through it many times on my way to Twin Falls.

You have a tent pad that should drain well if it rains.
At night you can expect temperatures around 50 degrees F or lower if the day is cloudy.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:38 PM

For a good book on hikes in the Rockies, let me suggest you obtain a copy of The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson. It is not in its 7th edition, at least, and gives plenty of details on hikes. It includes elevation gain and trail distances in great detail.

I think you could spend 45 minutes with that book and pick out more hikes than you will do in 15 years of summer visits.

Unfortunately, the best hike in the area is probably out of your range:
The Whaleback Trail. The problem is that the approach hike is 5 miles, and then you start up the side of the Yoho Valley, cross Twin Falls, and ascend the Whaleback. The view from the high point on the trail is the stuff of memories for years to come.

From there back to the parking lot is perhaps 5 more miles with a steep descent into the Little Yoho Valley.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM

I'm surprised you have not gotten more answers. I will throw in one more response. The campground near the Trans Canada Highway in Yoho National Park usually fills early in the afternoon.
It is not that great for tents, but seems a beacon for RVs and trailers.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM

Try Parks Canada website too.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
ltt

my favorite campground in jasper for tenting is snaring river. it just has pit toilets but they keep them pretty clean. no power so it's nice and quiet (except for the trains but you'll get that noise everywhere).
in banff, tunnel mountain tent sites are pretty nice with lots of wild life.