Banff, Golden, Castle Junction

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive late for a 1st night in Banff and will spend the 2nd night in Golden and the 3rd night in Castle Junction (not our choice but all decided by availability). We plan whitewater rafting from Golden after overnighting in Golden and plan to see Moraine Lake and Lake Louise that afternoon but would appreciate advice re the journey from Banff to Golden i.e. is it better to spend time around Banff and travel up to Golden via Lake Louise (130Km) or is it worthwhile going to Golden via Radium Hot Springs 190Km?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM

It depends how much you like town-based activities versus wilderness activities and scenery.

My tastes lean more towards the wilderness / scenery end of things and less towards the shopping / town end of things.

If it was my trip, I would go via Radium Hot Springs. On the day that I drove from Banff to Golden, I first would visit Johnston Canyon. Its parking lot fills up, so I would make that my first stop after having breakfast and checking out of my hotel.

Then I would drive down Hwy #93, through Kootenay National Park, to Radium. Then I would drive up Hwy #95 to Golden.

<b>However</b>, I also would check the weather forecast. If it promised to be sunny on the day of the Banff - Golden drive but rainy the next day, I would see Moraine Lake and Lake Louise on the sunny day. Having the sun shining on those lakes really does make a difference to the aesthetic experience.

Rain does not affect whitewater rafting (you get wet anyway).

A canyon looks pretty even in cloudy / foggy / rainy conditions. It does not require good visibility to look attractive. In fact some cloud and rain can make a canyon look even more interesting than it looks in clear weather. Visiting a canyon is an ideal rainy day activity.

This saying is true of life in general, but one notices it in the Rocky Mountains even more than other places, namely, man proposes and God disposes.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

By the way, even if it rains in the mountains, it very, very rarely rains all day. If it does rain, the rain typically is interrupted by sunny periods.

The weather in the mountains can vary enormously. It can vary from one valley to the next. It can vary from one hour to the next.

The one place that you really should try to see in sunlight is Moraine Lake. But you almost always <b>can</b> see it in sunlight. There have been so many times when we have gone there and it has been raining. During our walk around the area, the sun always seems to come out at some point.

We usually spend a minimum of 1.5 hours there (so that we can walk to the top of the pile of rocks at the north end of the lake and also walk the lakeshore path).

As we often make it our lunch stop as well, it's more usual for us to spend at least 2.5 hours and maybe even 3 hours there.

I have lost count of the number of times we've been to Moraine Lake. We regard it as the most important &quot;must see&quot; when we take overseas relatives to the mountains.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM

I suggest making a loop out of it, which I have done a time or two.

From Banff go to Castle Junction, preferably along the Bow Valley Parkway and take in some of the sights and views along that more serene route.

From Castle Junction, drive over the pass and through Kootenay National Park to Radium Hot Springs. From there turn north to Golden. Then after you ride the whitewater, drive through Yoho National Park, with a detour to Takkakaw Falls to Castle Junction where your 3rd night is.

There is plenty to see. I don;t know when your raft trip is, but if it is late in the day, then you may need to reverse the route, or even not do Kootney and go and come over Kicking Horse Pass via the Trans Canada Highway.

I am curious. Just where are you whitewater rafting? Somewhere on the Kicking Horse?

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hve been away for the past while so haven't got a chance to reply - yes, it is the Kicking Horse we plan to get into! We are looking at the midday session for 2 - 3 hours, there seems to be a number of groups doing it. I presume we have to book ahead so I will do that shortly.