Banff and Lake Louise in June

Mar 10th, 2001, 04:25 AM
Lisa

Banff and Lake Louise in June

My husband and I are traveling to the Canadian Rockies in June for our anniversary. We are spending 2 nights in Calgary, 2 in Banff, 2 at Moraine Lake and 2 at Lake Louise( Post Hotel). I would appreciate any information on things not to miss. We are interested in short hikes. Will there be any wildflowers in bloom or is it to early? Information on resturants and shops not to miss would also be of value. Thank you in advance for your help.

Mar 12th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Island Girl

Hi Lisa,

There are so many nice hikes in these areas, but a couple that spring to mind are Johnston's Canyon, near Banff, and the Plain of Six Glaciers at Lake Louise. The visitor info centre will have brochures on the different hikes, with info on their length and difficulty. In Calgary there is interesting shopping in the area called Kensington, just across the river from downtown. Eau Claire Market is also fun, and you could include a nice stroll around Prince's Island Park while you're there. In the centre of Calgary is an area called Nose Hill Park. It's quite large and full of hiking trails. On a clear day you can see tons of mountain peaks to the west!

For restaurants in Calgary, it depends on your taste, but a couple that come to mind are Teatro (Italian), and Drinkwaters (high-end steak) both in the downtown area. We always enjoyed Buon Giorno on 17th Avenue SW for Italian food. James Joyce Pub and Ceildh's Pub, both on 8th Ave downtown are good for nightlife. Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:50 PM
mmmfood

If you're going up to Lake Louise, you should take a hike up to the tea house. It's the hike up to Mirror Lake. I don't know if the tea house will be open by June but you can check. There's also a tea house at the plain of 6 glaciers. If you really have the energy, take the big beehive trail. When you get to the top, the scene/view is really beautiful. Again, this trail needs a lot of energy to walk up. You'll see why when you get there, but it's worth it.

Mar 16th, 2001, 04:53 AM
MarySue

Lisa, we were there last June. I was a little disappointed that we didn't see more wildflowers but the scenery is so spectacular that I didn't really care. The restaurant at the Post is wonderful. We also ate a couple of meals at the Chateau Lake Louise - they have several restaurants. Fondue at the Wallis Stube was great. But we were very glad that we stayed at the Post and not the Chateau. You will have a great trip.

Mar 18th, 2001, 12:29 PM
lisa

Thank you to all of you for the helpful information. We will have a better trip because of it. Lisa

Mar 25th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Jessica

Lisa,
Just to let you know that Moraine Lake is in Lake Louise. It is actually just about 15 minutes down the road from Chateau Lake Louise. I lived and worked at Chateau Lake Louise last year for a full year. If you can, definitly make it out to Johnson Canyon...very beautiful. Also, take the gondola ride up the mountain at Lake Louise. The ski hill is still open in the summer and lets people ride up the gondolas to the top where there is a little cafe and a beautiful view...it's amazing to see all of Lake Louise as a tiny speck! If you have any question, e-mail me...I have tons of information from my adventure out there!