Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

atm withdrawals at vancouver international airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Daniel

I will need cash for the taxi after I arrive in Vancouver in a couple of weeks. I have this scheme, if you will, to withdraw local currency with my ATM card. This scheme, of course, is based on the assumption I can use my Star Network ATM card in Canada (this is an average bank ATM card--no Visa or MC logo), the airport has ATM machines, and the exchange rate is fair. Does anyone know differently that would shoot down this scheme of mine?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:03 AM
gary

There should be no problem. After you get out of customs there should be an ATm nearby. If you can't see one look for an elderly person wearing a green blazer. These are airport volunteers who live to help out travellers. They're wonderful. <BR> <BR>The ATM's generally charge about 1 1/2 to 2% vigorish over the posted rate but unless you're changing large amounts, (1.e. over $1,000), that's about as good as you get. DO NOT patronize the currency exchanges who charge well over 2% vigorish.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:32 AM
traveller

I just checked my ATM and it doesn't show star network. Plus, Cirrus, Interac. I don't recall having seen Star network. Has anyone else? <BR> <BR>I recall having a great deal of difficulty in So. America. Check your card - if it says Plus, you should have no problem.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Daniel

Thanks for the info. I found out that my bank is associated with the Plus network (among others), so I should be okay. <BR> <BR>New, related question: If the ATM machine has a bank name emblazened on its bezel, what bank names should I consider reputable? In addition, do American banks have a presence in Canada? (E.g., Bank of America, Washington Mutual, Wells Fargo, etc.)

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Robyn

No American banks are present in Canada. <BR>Canadian banks to look out for: CIBC, Royal Bank, Toronto Dominion (TD), Scotiabank and Bank of Montreal. <BR> <BR>There are also others you might see in Vancouver (like HSBC and Richmond Savings/Coast Capital)

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Robyn

The 2 most popular bank names you'll see on ATM's are CIBC and Royal Bank. Hope this helps!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:54 PM
traveller

I don't think you need to worry about that. Just that your card is Plus/Cirrus etc. Most Cdn. Banks and American banks are affiliated through Plus/Cirrus. You should have no problems. <BR> <BR>Just to be sure, I would check with your bank about their acceptance at Cdn ATM's. The banks that you mentioned do not have a "presence in Canada". We are Royal Bank/Scotiabank/Bank of Montreal etc. <BR> <BR>Always bring some cash with you in case the ATM's are down (as happens with any machine). <BR> <BR> <BR>Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Daniel

Thanks much again for all the info and comments. I'm looking forward to visiting.