Are you going to Ucluelet and Tofino?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a professionally made 20 minute video with an introduction from Jason Priestly. It really captures Ucluelet. and the amazing Wild Pacific Trail that I am fortunate to walk at least once a month. The video gives a real feel for the area and what you will see if you decide to come here.
http://vimeo.com/4946485
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM

WHere to stay...Ucluelet or Tofino and which hotel/cottage?
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

how many nights do you have?
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 04:01 AM

We are driving RT from Victoria and have 5 days total.
So 2-3 nights.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

okay, one more question to give you the best answer. Are you a couple, or a family? How many in your party? What do you want to do primarily? Beach activities, hiking, whale watching, fine dining? Both locations are great it just depends upon your primary objectives.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM

A middle-aged couple, in average shape. Not athletes at all.
Walking, maybe kayaking if it is very calm water, sitting around and reading, taking photos, eating outdoors.
Sounds dull doesn't it ?
Anyway that is the scoop.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

not dull at all.
Ucluelet is more low key than Tofino. We usually stay there, (well because we own a place there) but it is quieter and more outdoorsy. Tofino has better beaches but is more touristy and busy. I love both, but Ucluelet is a great haven for relaxing. If you looked at the video above you can see the wild pacific trail is a huge draw to the area and highly recommended. We walk it at least once a day when we are there. A very comfortable and non exerting walk that can be as fast or a slow as you like.
I am not sure what month you are staying, but in Ucluelet there is a few nice places, one being the new Black ROck resort, right on the water and quite swish as they say. At the very least have lunch there the food is great, reasonably priced and fantastic view.
There is a fantastic boat trip on the Archepelego (sp??) that leaves from the Ucluelet dock twice a day. It will take you out on a small yaucht to the broken island group and you most likely will see bears, sea lions and whales on the way. I learned more on this trip and I have lived in the area my whole life. You can also rent kayaks at the harbour as well.
For a full condo with kitchen and seperate bedroom there is Waters Edge Resort,
and other cabins as well.
Here is a website of differnt places to choose from
http://www.uclueletlodging.worldweb....talProperties/
Tofino is wonderful too. You can stay right on one of the beaches or else in town. Some quiter places are Middle Beach Lodge, Long Beach Lodge, Best Western Tin Wis is a hotel on the beach, Ocean Village is lower end but nice place on the beach. It caters to a lot of familys.
There are also lots of fantastic B and Bs on CHestermans beach. look at chestermanbeach.net
A great resteraunt is Sobos right in Tofino
You can also do whale watching and kayaking there and take a tour to hot springs cove by boat or sea plane which is great.
Tofino and Ucluelet are both great destinations and you can spend one of your three days visiting the other, it is a 1/2 hour drive between the two.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the video and great information live42day! We will be in Tofino two weeks from today. It's good to know that the Pacific trail is a nice walk. What do you know about the rain forest trail? Is it comparable? We are staying five nights and trying to find things to do that don't break the bank and are compatible with nature.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the great ideas. According to trip advisor, Black rock has a mosquito problem. We will be there mid-July, is it buggy at that time?
I looked into HeTinKis lodge but I cannot find it on trip advisor--its off the trail, do you know it?
In terms of a place on the most beautiful, dramatic beach, where would you stay? I am concerned about the noise level at some of the family resorts like Ocean Village since the cabins are so close. Most of the places are booked! I can get into Tin Wis, Pacific Sands, Mackenzie Beach lodge.
Opinions?
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM

hellokittie, there's no better place to do all those "boring" things than Tofino ;-). I've been there a whole bunch of times and can never get enough of that particular brand of "boredom"--I can stare at the ocean for hours.

You tried Middle Beach and no luck? Bummer...I've seen Tin Wis and it seems fine but don't know the other places.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM

I actually can get a room at Middlebeach however they got some pretty bad reviews on trip adviser ...impression of horrible staff and run down rooms. I am not sure Waters Edge still exists, it may be a time share now.
I also am considering Pacific Sands which is top rated on trip adviser. Whatya think?
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Middle Beach in Tofino??? That shocks me, I've been going there since it opened and have stayed there numerous times and never had anything but a stellar experience.

Ok, I just went and read the reviews...as is so often the case with reviews on TA, you really need to throw out the best and the worst and go with the middle--I couldn't believe some of the petty things people were complaining about, honestly. It's not for people who need to be fussed over however; it's a place to enjoy peace and quiet in an atmosphere that is best described as comfortably rustic. To me, it's much more "Tofino" than the fancier places.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

I have never seen a bug problem in Ucluelet or Tofino, its usually has at least enough wind to keep them away.
Waters Edge is the old Tauca Lea Resort and managed by Avia West. Middle Beach is really nice, I agree Ocean Village is not for you, i just mentioned it in case you couldnt find anything else. I have not stayed at Pacific Sands, but know people who have. It has been re done recently and on Cox Bay which is a very quiet beach (or used to be anyhow) and a lot of people surf there. Tin Wis is not high end, but fine. It is run by the local native band and is on a smaller beach, McKenzie beach, close to Middle Beach. They have a resteraunt. Quite a few weddings are held there. It is a basic Best Western hotel room but most if not all face the ocean.

Kansan. I walked the Rainforest trail years ago and remember it as being a great hike. Another great one is Schooner cove. You walk through forests and boardwalks down to the beach. If you time it at low tide you can go around the rocks and there is miles of sandy beach and basically no one around. Just make sure you get back before the tide comes in.
You have to get a day pass to park at the federal parks so I usually plan to do a couple a day of the ones that you have to pay for. Chestermans, Cox, McKenzie beach and all of Ucluelet is non paying because they are outside of the federal park.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Just wanted to add that room choice is important at Middle Beach...for example, the rooms in the original lodge are very small and basic. If you want to post what your options are, I'd be happy to give you my opinion as I've stayed in almost every room type there over the years.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

I think HeTinKis lodge is a b and b.

Another thought, have you tried Long Beach Lodge?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM

Yes, it is way too pricey and has limited availability.
Which places are on the boardwalk/trail?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

do you mean the trail in Ucluelet? Only the black Rock and The Cabins at Terrace Beach and a few b and bs. Almost everyone in Ucluelet has a b and b. Ucluelet is so small though that you can get to the trail in minutes.

In Tofino none of the hotels are on the park trails as it is a federal park and there are not any businesses on them.

so you would rather be on a trail than the beach?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM

A beach. However, I thought I could have it all!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM

hellokittie, twww.tofinovr.com We found renting a house less expensive than a hotel or lodge, plus we can make our own meals and pack picnics for outings. I see they have a July special. I emailed and they replied with a few that met our needs. Hope that helps.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM

Kansan, I've rented through them as well and had a very good experience--we had a nice 3 BR house on Chesterman Beach.

There are actually 2 rainforest trails btw--one on either side of the highway. I've done both several times and think they are both worthwhile. Agree that Schooner Cove is a good hike, and I also really like the hike that goes from the Wickaninnish Interpretive Center to Florencia Beach (even though you don't have to hike to get to that beach if you don't want to).

You should also be sure to go to Meares Island to see the huge trees there, whether in a kayak or by water taxi. And then there's Hot Springs Cove and so many other wonderful things...I'm envious just thinking of you having 5 days there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -