Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any predictions for this Fall in the Rockies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 04:26 PM
R
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's been an *extremely* dry summer, and if you could truly predict the weather for Sept/Oct., you'd be sought out extensively for your abilities! ;-)
However, based on prior years & what you're seeing *so far* this year...could you hazard some educated guesses for us? We'd love to see some fall colors, if possible! I do know from prior posts & reading that the Rockies aren't that known for colors. However, we need to drive from Northern Calif. so may drive through some areas more known for their foliage colors.

Any tips on best routes for that appreciated...
also, would you make the trip,
Sept. 20-Oct 5...
or Sept 27-Oct. 12? (those are final choices...wasn't sure 'til now)

We'd like to see some colors...perhaps canoe on Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, or Emerald Lake if those places are still renting...avoid as *much* of the major fire season, as possible, have sun still, etc., etc. ;-) (guess we have a tall list, huh?) Don't mind some snow, as it would make the mountain tops gorgeous!
Also, we so enjoyed hiking to the tea houses at Lake Louise years & years ago, when we went in early Sept. However, I think those will be shut down, no matter which time we leave, right?
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks! (Ps. hope the fires are easing up...been very concerned for everyone there...hard to tell from the states' news)
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:13 PM

R -
There isn't much fall colour in the Rocky Mountains because most of the forests are coniferous (pines, firs, spruces etc.). Birches and poplars grow in the valleys and near rivers, and usually they turn yellow or golden, so you'll see splashes of yellow in the midst of a deep green sea of pines and firs.

I would recommend that you choose to go earlier rather than later; by the beginning of October the leaves may be gone.

Don't know about predictions for winter weather, but judging by the furious activities of squirrels, it might be a cold one. Hoping for lots of snow to make up for the dry conditions (and for good skiing!!).

As for route, hmmmm - almost any route north and then east would be a beautiful drive.

We once drove to the west coast (and back to Alberta) in mid-October. It was fascinating, like driving through the seasons. (.....wasn't there a scene like that in a movie with Hugh Grant??) Some places were in full colourful autumn colours, a few places (Vancouver & Victoria) were very green and still seemed like late summer, and other places (higher elevations) were very snowy and wintery.

Interestingly enough, on that trip the worst weather (snow and fog) wasn't in the Rockies, but on the Coquihalla highway from Kelowna to Hope, B.C.

Have a great time in the Rockies!!

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 01:12 AM
R
Original Poster

THank you so much for your help! Sorry to be late getting back to you. (have been having major health issues) :-{

Thinking of starting a new thread...specifically focusing on the fires as now we're wondering whether to give up on our trip.
Would love to go, but concerned about the fires making everything smoky.

Seems like we're almost not meant to go between my health problems & the fires which keep going & going. Wondering how they are esp. affecting the major parks.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Hello:

We love going to Lake Louise the last couple of weeks in Sept. The crowds are down and you can get good weather then also. You are high up in the mountains so snow flurries is very possible . You take the chance on some rain or cloudy skies, but you do in July. Just dress warmer, layer and waterproof coats and pants for hiking.
I did not think the fires were anywhere near Banff National Park. The Agnes Teahouse is open till end of Sept. unless some really bad weather came in. The gondola's will be all operating and you can still canoe on all the lakes. The canoes are there till the lakes freeze over. We are doing all this the last 10 days of Sept. this year. If you go, enjoy! It is wonderful just being in the mountains.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:58 PM

It has been cool and rainy in Alberta over the past two days so I think that there will be FROST at night in the Rockies very soon.
The fall colours should really start to appear now.

By the way "R" - hope you get well soon!!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 02:00 AM
R
Original Poster

Thank you so *very* much!!!
I think we're going to shoot for leaving here Sept 27...it's when it works best for work. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some colors still being around by then? And, I just hope we don't get more bad health news btwn now & then. (And even if we do...I think we really need to take this time away to such a gorgeous area). So, I think we're a "go."
Hope so.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Just to bring this up to date - Banff area is expected to get 10-15cm of snow tonight and tomorrow. Calgary is also expected to get up to 10cm with tomorrow's high estimated to be 3C. Of course by Friday the weather office is calling for highs of 22C. Welcome to fall in the Rockies !!!!!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:53 PM
R
Original Poster

What a riot! Sounds like Denver's pattern, at times. Really...22 right after the snow??
I've always loved the mtns. & hills w/new dustings of snow...and my husband teases me over how I seem to dislike dry, barren mountains. (Love 'em best, when they've got that snow up there!) So, perhaps the snow will dress them up a bit...while at the same time, not necessarily meaning we'll *only* get precip. while there. One can hope! (for the sun, too) ;-) Altho' I really *do* love the snow...
just not rainy weather much (while traveling). Thanks for the latest!