Search

Air Canada - how do airlines catch up with so many delays

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 12:47 PM
ltt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Canada - how do airlines catch up with so many delays

curious as i have friends stuck in TO. IF they start flying tonight, i assume anyone who had a ticket on that flight gets to go. how do they manage to fly all the hundreds of people that are backuped? i know that if there are empty seats on scheduled flights they'll fill them but that could take forever. will they bring in extra planes?
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 01:46 PM

They add flights and use bigger planes among other things. These things happen a few times every year usually because of weather related closures so all airlines have plan 'B's and 'C's for emergancies.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Not everyone waits around for Air Canada to accommodate them either; a few just make other arrangements. That takes the pressure off just a bit.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 05:35 PM

There is some slack in the system. Normal load factors are in the 70 per cent range. I suspect many trips will be postponed or cancelled.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:12 PM

Hi Ltt:

I was supposed to be on a 6pm flight but when there was still no power at either my office or the customer I'm working with at 8am this morning, I simply wandered down to the train station & was surprised to be able to get a seat on the 9:30am train (which left at 12:15).

While I still haven't gotten though to Air Canada to 'change' my ticket to next Friday, I'm out of this weekend's queue at Pearson (as were many others in my car on the train).

Additionally, a few of the guys I'm working with have a much longer commute each week so they're just staying in Toronto for the weekend )our hotel had its power restored by 11pm Thursday).

Z