Reload this Page >

Advice on Nova Scotia-PEI Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Bill

My apologies for the lengthy message. My wife and I will visit Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, arriving from California at Halifax airport mid-day Sep 9 and returning on the 23nd. We are waiting on PEI and D & D guides but we have a tentative itinerary. Any advice on our plans thus far would be very greatly appreciated. <BR><BR>Our vacation goals are to have variety with scenery, photography, less than 5 mile hikes, listening to fiddles, relaxing at beaches, learning some history (but not too much museum time - I'll read and talk to folks). We also want to ensure that we do justice in Cape Breton and Halifax area.<BR><BR>A few questions and our itinerary:<BR>1. In your opinons, would Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg and Mahone Bay area require or merit more time than Annapolis Royal/Digby/Wolfville? I've guessed 3-4 days might be about right, given the limited time available.<BR><BR>2. Would the Marine drive be very tiring? In the itinerary below, will any of the drives be especially tiring to 50s-something folks who are in resonable health and fitness?<BR><BR>3. Also interested in a good book store and a place to purchase medium-large art prints/posters of - colorful Nova Scotia scenes<BR><BR>Itinerary:<BR>Sun, Sep 9 - Arrive Halifax airport, rent an auto and drive straight to Wolfville or Annaplois Royal. 2 nights in this area.<BR><BR>Tue, Sep 11 - drive from Annoplis Royal to Lunenburg, Mahone Cove area - 2 nights in this area<BR><BR>Thurs, Sep 13 - to Halifax and do the city - 2 nights<BR><BR>Sat, Sep 15 - long drive, Halifax to Charlottetown using the bridge - is that about 5 hours? 2-3 nights on PEI<BR><BR>Tue, Sep 18 - Leave PEI via ferry, head to Baddock - 2 nights - how long would that take?<BR><BR>Thurs, Sep 20 - to Ingonish or Dingwall, 2 nights? - does Baddeck merit an extra day with 1 day less in Ingonish area?<BR><BR>Sat - Sep 22 - to somewhere close to Halfax airport for a mid-day flight on Sun, the 23rd.<BR><BR>Oops, this is not working well - I've run out of time and I haven't been to Cheticamp - do you enjoy that side more than the Baddeck/Ingonish area. And yes, I haven't even been to the fort - I need 1-2 more weeks. Guess that will come next year. Thanks for any help you give.<BR><BR>Bill<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Ken

Halifax to Charlottetown via the Confederation bridge is no more than 2.5 to 3 hours.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Sounds like a great trip! Here's a hotel relatively close to the Halifax Airport for that last night that will be a little nicer than the airport hotel (presuming you don't want to just stay in Halifax):<BR><BR>Best Western Glengarry Hotel <BR>150 Willow Street <BR>Truro, NS <BR>Telephone: 902-893-1759 <BR><BR>There are some wonderful walking trails through Victoria Park in Truro. Peggy's Cove isn't going to take very much time. The best beaches will be found in New Brunswick, in the area of Shediac -- but you're getting a little past beach season.<BR><BR>I think once you get your D&D guide, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do. You'll be traveling to some relatively small towns. With two weeks to spend, you might want more than two nights in Halifax -- (but that is a matter of personal preference).<BR>

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Molly

If it was me {and it's not}, I'd opt for just one night on the south shore with an extra night on Cape Breton, the best part of the island IMHO. The Skyline trail on the Cabot trail, Cape Breton, is not terribly long, offers breathtaking scenery, and a strong possibility of spotting moose. <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Molly

An afterthought: with all due respect, aside from the tide action {and yes, the park is very attractive},Truro is not a particularly compelling destination, in my opinion. It does, however, offer a strategic stopping point, for lodging and refueling, as it's midway across the island.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Molly, I agree. I was just trying to offer an alternative to staying at the airport hotel that would be in relatively close proximity. But with an afternoon flight out, I would probably stay in Halifax that night anyway.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
Bill

Thanks all for the help. It's great to get your advice. I've found that the most challenging part of vacation planning is allocating time to different places. I've scoured the internet for photos of NS and found some really great ones, but I feel like I'm only looking though a peephole. We are really going to love this trip and I'm so thrilled my wife thought of this.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Jill Hood

Impossible to really appreciate Nova Scotia fully in a couple of weeks, but look on this trip as an 'appetizer.' we went for a holiday in 1993, came home and sold our house and stayed till three months ago when we moved back to BC. Not to miss in the Annapolis Royal area(jewell in the crown) The Candlelight Graveyard Tour, The Historic Gardens, Port Royal,The wonderful Farmer's Market etc.etc. The Digby scallops are great at the Harbourview Inn in Smith's Cove and when in Mahone Bay try the delicious chowder at Mimi's Ocean Grill. I could go on and on but you will find your own treasures too! Have a wonderful trip! Jill Hood