Reload this Page >

Accomodations in Calgary and Edmonton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Patrick

Looking for a very nice hotel in the heart of things in both cities for just one or two nights each in June. After the long drive from Toronto and before continuing on to Alaska we just want to relax and enjoy a little "city life", so want to be in the center where we won't need to do any driving. Budget of up to $200 Canadian per night hopefully, but like nice hotels. Have never been to either city so not sure what area would be the best for general walking activities plus good restaurants, etc.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 06:37 AM
elizabeth

Hi Patrick - I've heard good things about the Union Bank Inn in Edmonton (34 room boutique hotel) but I don't know Edmonton very well so can't speak to the location. Their web site is www.unionbankinn.com. <BR> <BR>If you're interested in dinosaurs, don't miss the Royal Tyrrell museum in Drumheller (150 or so km east of Calgary) - www.tyrrellmuseum.com. <BR> <BR>Elizabeth

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 06:58 AM
dnorrie

Not sure about Edmonton but the Sheraton Eau Claire in Calgary is lovely and right in the heart of the city. The executive floor is $249/night but I am sure that you can get rooms for less on the other floors. The gold floor is certainly worth the money and comes with a continental breakfast - when we were there is was actually a full breakfast and there is a private lounge where the management offered free drinks at happy hour (not sure if that is a daily thing).

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Patrick

Thanks for the suggestions. The lowest I could get for a club level at the Sheraton Eau Clair for my date in June was $289, but got a special for a deluxe king suite on a regular floor for $199 with breakfast (AAA rate). I am having some email correspondance with the Union Bank Inn, mainly about a parking problem during the day. Meanwhile I found the Westin Edmonton gave me a weekend rate for Friday and Saturday nights for $105. How is that hotel?

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 05:53 PM
dnorrie

The Westin Calgary is getting fairly old but is still quite nice. I am not sure about the Westin Edm. but they probably have a web page. Hope you have a good time. Do try to get to Drumheller to the Royal Tyrell Museum - the badlands are quite something but it will be very hot at that time of year.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 06:40 PM
dnorrie

Patrick - have you checked out the Sherton Eau Claire on the internet - I looked there and it appeared as though they have specials on. Try it out and if that doesn't work be sure to ask them on their 800# about specials. If it would help, I would be happy to phone for you - Cheers Denise

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 06:38 AM
Patrick

dnorrie: do you mean better than the $199 rate I booked? It seemed to be the best I could do for a week night (Thursday) although they did have better deals for weekend.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 09:21 AM
dnorrie

Patrick - I think that you might be able to obtain a better rate if you call them a little closer to your arrival date. My experience has always been (in Calgary) that they run specials Thurs to Sat. I would keep checking their web page and see what you can find and then phone them a week or so before your arrival to see if they have any specials on. Be sure to phone the specific hotel (not the reservations line for all Sheratons) and press them for any deals they may have on. Sometimes you can get a food or drink credit included with your room. Who knows? You may even be able to get on the Club Floor for a lesser rate - it is worth a shot anyhow. Good luck! Denise

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 09:59 AM
Patrick

Thanks, Denise, I'll try that. But lately it seems whenever I call closer to my arrival time the hotel is sold out. Am I just going to the most popular hotels at the most popular times or what? Anyway, I have the $199 rate which isn't bad when I convert to US dollars, but a more special deal would always be welcome.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 10:05 AM
dnorrie

Hi Patrick - Write down my email address and I can give them a call for you and see if I can get a better deal for you (closer to your arrival date). Who knows? I may want you to return the favour sometime. <BR> <BR>If I can be of help, I am happy to do so. I hope you love Alberta - there are lots of nice people in Calgary and Drumheller (don't go to Edmonton much) but always a few jerks. Just remember, the majority are quite caring and attentive. <BR> <BR>Good Luck - Denise

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Tim Jacques

I've been to Calgary a few times to watch curling tournaments (go fig, an American who likes curling). I've been to the Econolodge on 2231 Banff Trail (403-289-1921). They have decent rooms for about $40-60 USD. Some are even equipped with kitchens and fridges. The hotel is also close to a city-wide C-Train station (which can take you downtown or to many interesting places in the city).

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:15 AM
tiaragirl

In Edmonton, you could try the Varscona Hotel (www.varscona.com). Nice rooms, good location. It's right on Whyte Avenue which is a lively street with shops, coffee shops, bars etc. In the summertime it's a really lively area, often with street performers. There are a lot of festivals going on in that area as well.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:13 PM
rich

I prefer the classic hotels in both cities. Edmonton that is the Hotel MacDonald, right downtown over looking the North Sask. river. In Calgary it is the Palliser Hotel near the base of the Calgary Tower. Both hotels use to be in the Canadian Pacific Hotel chain and now can be found at the Fairmount.com sight. Good luck.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:50 PM
dnorrie

We stayed at the Palliser on the Gold Floor about 6 mos. ago. The room was very nice but not nearly as nice as those on the club floor of Sheraton eau Claire. We had several problems in that our TV was not working, nor was the phone. And the room was expensive but the staff were wonderful. Because of the inconvenience of TV and phone problems we received a $200 gift certificate to any Cdn. Pacific hotel (no exp.), cafe latte's brought to our room and sincere apologies. They certainly do know how to treat guests with great consideration.