Reload this Page >

Accommodations??/and Cheticamp vs. Ingonish

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Jodi

Does anyone have any feedback for me on the following accommodations: The Prince George hotel in Halifax, and The Pines in Digby?<BR><BR>Also, my husband and I are going to spend three days exploring the Cabot Trail. We are trying to figure out where to base ourselves while we are there. Reading up on the area, it seems that Cheticamp is a more lively town than Ingonish or Baddeck. Is this accurate? Also, I know that the Keltic Lodge is a lovely place to stay in Ingonish...but I'm having a hard time finding somewhere good to stay in Cheticamp. Any thoughts would be appreciated!<BR><BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Tanya

Prince George is located in Halifax's downtown core and close to the waterfront. Digby Pines is a grand old resort, however, the rooms are just adequate.<BR><BR>Cheticamp is not central nor is Ingonish. Baddeck is more so since the &quot;main&quot; trail starts/ends there. Baddeck is a lovely village and you would enjoy.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Jodi

Tanya, thank you for your feedback! Can you comment on the town of Baddeck? We're looking for a &quot;base spot&quot; that allows us to go out and have fun in the evenings, too...which is why we thought Cheticamp might work. But maybe we should be considering Baddeck Also, do you have recommendations for places to stay in Baddeck? <BR><BR>Jodi

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Tanya

Baddeck is a dry town which means no taverns/pubs. However, they have several restaurants which serve liquid refreshments! The Cello Mellow (or something like that) on the main street has great pizza and live entertainment. Not sure about during the week, but certainly on the weekends. Go early to get a seat! If you want just a drink, head to the marina. It says for members only but they don't mind you stopping by. Lovely deck if the weather cooperates. There are several other spots as well, but these two are my fav. As for accommodation, depends on what you want. For $169 we rented a 3-bedroom house with 1.5 bathrooms. Awesome spot and great if you want to cook some meals in. There is the Telegraph Inn (the owner's son owns the house we rented - MacRae House - and if you are interested you call the Telegraph and tell them you have been referred). Also the Inverary REsort (very beautiful) and Silver Dart Lodge (although it is just outside of town). Although I keep repeating myself on this one, take a cruise on the Bras d'or lakes on the Loch Breagh. Don't miss the Alexander Graham bell museum or Louisbourg. Take a whale watching tour out of Pleasant Bay or Cheticamp. Take lots of film - you will need it!<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your trip. If you have any more questions, you can email me at home at [email protected]<BR><BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Paula

Jodi, I believe the pizza place that Tanya is thinking of in Baddeck is called the &quot;Yellow Cello&quot;. Its been a few years, but my husband and I found it a good place for a quick and casual meal. I also second the suggestions for Louisbourg, A.G. Bell museum, and the boat tour. (We used Ameoba Boat Tours and were quite pleased with it.)<BR><BR>While in Baddeck, we enjoyed our two night stay at Castle Moffett. <BR><BR>www.castlemoffett.com

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:53 AM
jodi

Paula, do you recall how far a drive it is from Baddeck to Cheticamp?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Paula

Hi Jodi. Unfortunately, I can't help with the driving distance you requested. As we made our way from Cheticamp to Baddeck via overnight stays in Dingwall and Ingonish (with additional stops for lunch, etc. along the way), our trip was too broken up to give you an accurate read on this. But, I bet there are others who could help on this one ... Tanya?