A few hours in Toronto - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying to Madrid on August 2nd. Providing that the flight is on time, we have a 6 hour layover in Toronto and figure the time will pass a lot faster if we go do something, rather than sit in the airport. We arrive @ around 3:45 pm & leave at 9:45. Any suggestions of something fun to do during that time? I do, of course realize that we won't have a full 6 hours.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:02 PM

The airport is quite far from downtown especially during rush hour.... 6 hours is not enough time to leave, do anything and get back through traffic and security... get a book, have a bite, walk around, and discuss your undying love for each other... then take a 5 1/2 hour nap!!! have fun!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:57 AM
BAK

Let's think this through...

are you arriving in Toronto from within Canada, or from another country? Do you need to clear Canadian Customs?

Assuming no,and assuming arriving on time...

Land at 3:45, off the plane and into the terminal and stashing the luggage somewhere by 4:30.

Limo to downtown, going more or less against the traffic, to Art Gallery of Ontario, Royal Ontario Museum, Hockey
Hall of Fame, CN Tower (pick one) by 5:15.

One hour at the attraction, allowing for some slippage.

Hail a cab at 6:30, arrive back at the airport at 7:15 - 7:30.

This is pretty close to two hours before your flight, which should be OK. You'll have to retreive your luggage, of course, or perhaps the whole schedule is shifted a bit becuse you dealt with the To-Madrid airline before you left for downtown.

My travel times are real-world, based on reasonable traffic. But there are a lot of days when the traffic is much worse/slower.

ANYWAY, as I look at the schedule, it seems like an awful lot of time in taxis and limos for just an hour or so downtown.

Which leaves us to think about intereting things to do near the airport.

I live fairly close, have clients fairly close, am driving past, or inside, the airport several times a month, and except for sendingyou to a movie or a shopping centre -- or go-krt racing -- there's nothing much to do that does not involve an hour's drive each way.

Good book, good dinner...

BAK
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:54 AM

You can take public transport (a bus) every 11 min even on Sundays: http://www3.ttc.ca/Schedule/schedule...ORT_TERMINAL_1
It takes on average 20 min to Kipling station. From there a pretty regular train can take you to let's say Bloor West Village where you can have a great and much cheaper meal than at the airport. I say this is worth your while if you don't want to be bored at the airport. It will also provide you with some sensory entertainment so you'll be able to sleep all the way to Madrid.
While the suggestions above sound reasonable too, I'd say that, esp. if the weather is ok, it's not a bad idea to venture into the town. It also depends what your interests in general are. Public transport is actually a very good option. At least you won't regret spending $110 on a cab (both ways). Single fair is $2.75 one way/per person ($1.85 if you're a senior). For $9 both of you would be able to go both ways and wherever else you want to (Day pass for both) but you can't buy at the airport as far as I know. Anyway, it will cost you altogether both ways $11 for both if you buy single tickets so it's not bad.
Let us know if you have more questions. Good luck!