7 days, 8 nights in Newfoundland

Mar 14th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

7 days, 8 nights in Newfoundland

Hi there,
My husband and I are flying in to St. John's in late August. We want to spend a few days there, but also drive over to Gros Morne. I hear it can be done in 8 hours - can anyone confirm? Or if you recommend we take 2 days to drive there, where's the best place to stop along the way? Or if you think that's not a good use of time, any other suggestions to see great scenery in Newfoundland?
Mar 14th, 2003, 01:21 PM

My feeling is that you should simply stay on the Avalon Peninsula. There is quite enough to experience there without adding long drives to a short visit. Save Gros Morne and western Newfoundland for another visit.
Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:33 AM

Hi Kira,
Eight hours is likely pushing it. Especially if you stop for meals. Driving after dark isn't advised because of the moose. A stop in Trinity (30 minutes off the Trans Canada highway, north of Clarenville) would be off track, but is worthwhile. Spend the night. There are some interesting B&B's (see them at http://www.trinityexperience.com) A theatre group performs on Wednesdays and weekends in the afternoons a historical/theatrical pageant which is a tour of the beautiful town.
Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:25 PM

8 hours at tourist pace in the summer is pushing it. The TCH and Viking Trail are considerably busy in the summer months and its easy to get stuck behind slow traffic. And as was stated its not recommended to drive at night.

Although I have done it in about 6 to 6.5. However I did not stop to eat and I was motoring, and traffic was clear (because it was a weekday and it was the fall).

Fitting both the east and west coasts into one week is difficult. Just going to Gros Morne and back eats up two or three of those days. But if you are up to it, its worth it. Its beautiful there.