4 hours in Vancouver

Jun 19th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Shad

4 hours in Vancouver

Hey all, I was just wondering if 4 hours is enough time to take a quick jaunt into the city to explore a tiny bit. I've never been to Vancouver before and I was wondering what any of you would suggest a 19 year old guy do with his 4 hours in Vancouver.

Thanks,
Shad

Jun 19th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Shirley

I am assuming you are flying. The problem is the traffic. You can get downtown in 20 minutes to half an hour and see a little bit but you could really face some traffic problems and be stuck. There are some great things to do but you need more time. You could walk down by Steveston and see the water and the fishing boats - that is pretty close to the airport. Anyone else have any ideas?

Jun 19th, 2001, 07:25 PM
traveller

My suggestion would be that before you leave the Vancouver airport that you have your boarding pass in place for your connecting flight. So many of the airlines now oversell their flights that you may find that you do not have a seat when you get back.

Jun 21st, 2001, 03:20 PM
lcuy

I'm guessing shad has 4 hours before or after his cruise! (who's right shad?)We were in the exact same situation with 4 hours. We took advantage of the great us/cdn exchange rate and shopped, had lunch at a nice seafood restaraunt, then walked around downtown. It is a pretty city!

Jun 22nd, 2001, 02:10 PM
shad

Ya, Shirly is right, I am flying in from Toronto, then am flying to Nanimo (sp?). Since I'll have already gone through customs in Toronto that'll save me some time. What is the best way to get downtown and back seeing that the Transit strike will most likely be on?

Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:57 PM
Jeanna

I've gotta tell you, as tempting as it might be to try to get downtown for a short bit in between flights (I was in the same situation last year in both Vancouver & Calgary, having never been to either city before!!), I would advise you against it. The airport is pretty far from downtown and I'm glad I didn't risk it. Chill out and have a beer or some oxygen (either Vancouver or Calgary's airport had this kind of oxygen/massage/manicure spa--like an oxygen bar with a menu of different flavors/herbs). Either way, due to the location of the airport, I don't think 4hrs will allow you to be able to really enjoy Vancouver plus it will cost you an arm and a leg to get a taxi, etc. Good Luck!