24 Hrs.+ in Vancouver

Search

24 Hrs.+ in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 Hrs.+ in Vancouver

What would be the most enjoyable activities for 2 older teenagers (dragging along their mom) for 24+ hrs. in Vancouver in mid-July? We are leaning toward Granville Island, Robson Street, and the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Is Robson St. the best shopping area for teens ages 17 and 19? Rather than renting a car, we will be getting around by foot and bus. Any cool restaurants we could get to without a car? Are taxis readily available on the street? What/where are the "best" stores for cd-shopping?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:22 AM

Taxis are readily available by major hotels. (And you can copy down a couple numbers to telephone a taxi - they usually don't take long. Here's a good number: (604) 681-1111 )

There are so many possible restaurants that I am stumped to give a recommendation! What type would you like? I might still leave it to someone else, though, because I mostly stick to budget places. However, on Robson Street you can find a nice place anywhere in about 60 seconds or less .

I think Robson Street is probably a bit more adult-clothing-oriented than teen, although I think some clothing shops would be interesting to teens. There are some interesting shops, though, like one that specializes in glow-in-the-dark novelties (great for ravers). Metrotown in Burnaby is probably a better all-around place for teen shopping if that is your main interest (and is easily reachable by Skytrain).

CD-shopping - well, actually the Robson Street area is excellent. Virgin Megastore at Robson and Burrard. Future Shop at Robson and (I think) Granville, or close to there anyway. For used CDs, walk along Granville Street south of Robson for several blocks and there will be a lot.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

WillTravel:

Thank you for a very helpful reply. Can you recommend a hotel near the Skytrain or the Amtrak Station? Is the Skytrain anywhere near the Amtrak Station? Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Skytrain goes right past the RR Station and there is in fact a stop right accross the street (Main St. Station). But the RR Station area is rather scummy and there are a number of fairly good Hotels about five blocks away, (also close to a Skytrain Station - 'Stadium'), on Beatty and Cambie Strets near the BC Place and GM Place Stadiums.
The Hampton Inn, Rosedale Inn, Georgian Court and Sandman Inn are all mid-range hotels close to Yaletown and about 5 blocks East of the centre of Downtown.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Avoid the Capilano Suspension Bridge-it a world class tourist trap of the tackiest variety.

It's the sort of place that's attractive only to the truly dumb or those with a very warped sense of humour.

As to 'cool' restaurants there are numerous options on Robson full of young Japanese and Koreans looking cool-also native West Enders seeing/being seen.As long as they're not intimidated by being in place where English is a second language your kids should have a great time.Guu or Hapa Izakaya easily fit the bill.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:06 PM

I think the Capilano Suspension Bridge is quite fun for a lot of tourists. There is a free, slightly less flashy suspension bridge at Lynn Canyon, though. The scenery will be great at either.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Thinking a bit more - there is at least one shop on Robson near Seymour that is underground and sort of oriented towards punk/rave fashion. That might be interesting, depending on your teens' interests. There are also similar shops in the same area as I described for the used CDs.