2009 Stratford Swan Release & Parade

Mar 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

2009 Stratford Swan Release & Parade

The 2009 Stratford Swan Release & Parade is set for Sunday, April 5th - only a month away! Clear your schedule, kennel your dogs, and don't miss it.

http://www.welcometostratford.com/swans/

Seriously, it's really quite fun to watch - and there's usually free coffee and Timbits...
Mar 5th, 2009, 11:39 AM

I will second that... it is such a great reminder of how fantastic small town life can be.

For those that can't make it, here is a taste from YouTube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4O-JPlw-_g

I love that goose leading the parade!
Mar 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM

That is adorable!
Mar 10th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks for posting. I just might have to take a drive to Stratford on April 5. I'll mark it in my calendar.
Mar 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

One of the swans decided she/he wanted out early. From the Beacon-Herald, March 13:

High winds help swan fly coop

One of the city's swans has gone with the wind.

He stretched out his three- to four-foot wings and went where the wind took him -- over the fence and out of the winter quarters.

"If (their wings are) stretched out and the wind is going the right way and it's that strong, they can get some air, even in a small pen like that," said Quin Malott, the city's manager of forestry and parks.

Stratford was under a wind warning Wednesday with 60-km/h winds gusting up to 90 km/h. Large water fowl weren't the only things to take flight. Recycle boxes were blown onto roadways and tree branches were ripped from trees.

It's any wonder only one swan made it over the fence.

The bird marched down to the river by himself, no pomp or ceremony, a month before the scheduled release for the city annual swan parade. He could be seen bobbing in the choppy river yesterday afternoon.

"He's not in any danger. His worst thing is getting food," Mr. Malott said.

The city will drop small amounts of food off for him but expect when he gets hungry enough he'll simply surrender. Drivers should watch for him along Lakeside Drive -- he may decide to walk back to the pen behind the William Allman Memorial Arena.

It's happened before.

"We've had it before where they've walked back to the pen because they see everyone else," Mr. Malott said.

There haven't been any fugitive swans for the past few years. Any have usually made a break for it in the fall.

Until the swan's safe return, city staff will try to figure out the identity of the escapee. Mr. Malott suspects he isn't one of a mated pair because he likely would have stayed by the fence.

The rest of the swans will parade down to the river April 5 at 2 p.m.
Mar 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM

That is so funny. I hope they catch him.

Thanks for posting the time. I was going to call the city to see what time the parade starts. Now I know!!
Mar 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Just a week to go before the Swan Parade!

Updates:
- The fugutive swan is still a fugitive.
- Lake Victoria, where most of the swans spend the summer is drained as they are doing repairs to a bridge. I certainly hope they refill it before releasing the swans.

Here's a photo gallery showing the fugitive swan, the drained lake, and the other swans in their winter pen (these were all taken yesterday):
http://acrossthebridgebandb.ca/swan0309/
Mar 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM

He looks lonely out there on his own.

Any tips on where to stand for the parade? I really don't know Stratford very well.
Mar 30th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

The parade route is not very long - maybe a couple of short blocks. Some people arrive early with folding chairs and stake out a position along the route. Right where the swans enter the water would be the best place to be as you'd be able to see them coming and then watch them disperse into the water.

A local book shop owner told me recently that he likes to be on the opposite side of the lake as you're not jostled by the crowds but you can still hear the pipers and then have a good view of the swans entering the lake.

The swans march down Morenz Dr. and then head east on Lakeside Dr. Here's a map showing the location:
http://tinyurl.com/d2rdgn
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Thanks very much for the location and the tips. We are looking forward to our afternoon in Stratford.
Apr 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM

The swans were delightful !
We enjoyed our afternoon in Stratford. We had lunch at Bentley's. The food was good..
Then off to see the parade. There was one swan leading the parade, then the pipe band and the rest of the swans followed. Even a Canada Goose marching along with them.
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:37 AM

That looks like great fun! Thanks for the tip to check it out,Kodi. G Hopper, thanks for the information about the event.
Apr 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

It was a perfect day for the parade, especially since today we have a couple of inches of snow on the ground. I'm glad you visited and enjoyed the spectacle. Below is a link to a photo gallery of the parade - beginning with the 23rd photo you can see how the fugitive swan reacted to being reunited with his pals.

http://acrossthebridgebandb.ca/2009s...ase/index.html
Apr 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM

The photos are great...and very sweet.
Apr 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM

G_Hopper, thanks for posting.. Your pictures are great. We did see the fugitive unite with his friend. ...it was so cute. we loved seeing them.