Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 week Trip Itinerary: Vancouver>Sunshine Coast >Vancouver Island/Victoria>Seattle

Search

2 week Trip Itinerary: Vancouver>Sunshine Coast >Vancouver Island/Victoria>Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2023, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have planned a two-week trip in June for my family which consists of myself, my wife and our three daughters – Ages 14, 17 and 20. We are flying into Seattle and then heading on to Vancouver, the Sunshine Coast, Vancouver Island and Victoria, back to Vancouver and then back to Seattle. I would appreciate any thoughts on the itinerary I have put together. I wish we could spend double the time doing the route we are wanting to take but did my best to try and plan. Are there places that we are not allowing ourselves enough time? Too many things in a day? Additional or alternative activities or items to do? Any feedback would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance for any insight!

-Day 1 Saturday

Arrive Sea-Tac Airport 9am, pick up rental and travel to Vancouver

Rest of Day Vancouver Area (Tentative/Possible places of interest: Redwood Park, Museum of Flight)

Stay overnight Downtown Vancouver

-Day 2 Sunday

All Day Vancouver Area

(Tentative/Possible things to do – Interchangeable with list at end of trip when we come back: Chinatown, Stanley Park, Vancouver Aquarium, Museum of Vancouver, Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver Lookout, Science World,)

-Day 3 Monday

Travel to Capilano Suspension Bridge Park

Travel to Sea to Sky Gondola & Trails

Travel to and stay overnight in Squamish

-Day 4 Tuesday

Travel to Horseshoe Bay and ferry to Langdale

Travel to Soames Hill Park, GIbsons, Sechelt

Sechelt – Float Plane Glacier Tour and/or Skookumchuck Narrows Boat Tour

Travel to and stay overnight in Madeira Park

-Day 5 Wednesday

Travel to Egmont – Princess Louisa Inlet Boat Tour, Hike Skookumchuck Narrows Trailhead to Roland Point Viewing Area

Travel to Earls Cove and ferry to Saltery Bay

Travel to and stay overnight in Powell River

-Day 6 Thursday

Ferry from Powell River to Comox

Travel to Lake Cowichan with possible stops at Nanaimo, Ladysmith, Chemainus, Duncan

Stay overnight in Lake Cowichan

-Day 7 Friday

Travel to Port Renfrow with possible stops at Fairy Lake, Avatar Grove

Travel to Sooke with possible stops at Sombrio Beach, Mystic Beach, Sheringham Point Lighthouse

Travel to and stay overnight in Colwood

-Day 8 Saturday

(Tentative/Possible things to do – Hatley Castle, Goldstream Provincial Park; Trails, Trestle, Falls)

Travel to and stay overnight in Victoria Harbor

-Day 9 Sunday

All Day Victoria Area

(Tentative/Possible things to do: Craigdarroch Castle, Royal BC Museum, Chinatown, Butchart Gardens)

Stay overnight Victoria Harbor

-Day 10 Monday

Travel to Swartz Bay and ferry to Tsawwassen

Travel to Vancouver (Tentative/Possible things to do: International Buddhist Temple, VanDusen Botanical Garden, Granville Island)

-Day 11 Tuesday

All day Vancouver Area (Additional places to go or things to do)

-Day 12 Wednesday

Travel to Seattle (Tentative/Possible places on the way: Chuckanut Drive Scenic Route)

(Tentative/Possible things to do - Interchangeable with subsequent days: Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Downtown Waterfront)

Stay overnight Seattle Downtown

-Day 13 Thursday

All Day Seattle Area

(Tentative/Possible things to do – Interchangeable with other days: Snoqualmie Falls, Underground Tour)

Stay overnight Seattle Downtown

-Day 14 Friday

Most of Day Seattle Area

(Tentative/Possible things to do – Interchangeable with previous days: Museum of Flight, Seattle Art Museum, Seattle Aquarium)

Travel to Sea-Tac Airport by 6pm
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 09:52 AM

Can I come with?

Honestly, it's nice to see an itinerary with a bit of diversity. We traveled up the Sunshine Coast way back in late May 2010, staying a couple of nights in Lund. That was not nearly enough time, and you are planning to see and do some of the things on our wish list. I'd be jealous, except that we will be returning in September this year ourselves. Those ferry rides will be a lot of fun. Enjoy! You might check out the Laughing Oyster while in the Powell River area. It's outside town and seems a bit remote, but the food is wonderful. Sometimes they have music; the chef is a musician himself.

Not so sure what led you to choose Squamish, as it seems a bit off your route. But we'll be staying there ourselves, on our way from Sun Peaks to the Sunshine Coast, so no criticism. Also, you might get some naysayers on the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I will say, they have greatly expanded and improved this park over the years, and I think the kids will really enjoy. But do plan to spend at least a half day to make it worth the cost.

Yes to the VanDusen Botanical Gardens (where we saw a coyote wandering around), the Royal BC Museum, the Seattle Underground Tour. We have wanted to do Skookumchuck Narrows Boat Tour. If you have time, take a short detour up to Coombs to visit the Old Country Market, see the goats on the roof, and maybe pick up some goodies. It's a bit north of Nanaimo. https://oldcountrymarket.com/

Of course, you may not be able to fit everything in, but I am sure that you will have a fabulous time, based on your planning.

Old Apr 18th, 2023, 09:33 PM

It looks like a great trip. Options to Buchart gardens, if you decide to do it go on the last day because it is close to the ferry to Vancouver. Other nice gardens are Beacon Hill Park downtown, combined with a walk on the sea wall on Dallas road. Also the governor generals house has lovely gardens and the roses may be out by then, both of those are free too.
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 08:10 PM

Hi jamisonblue.
That was an intriguing Itinerary, I hope you managed it all.
Questions:
How did you enjoy the boat trip to Chatterbox Falls? When my boys were still in school, Princess Louisa that was our annual spring break cruise.

Did you make it to the Laughing Oyster?
​​​​​​​I grew up in Powell River, my first summer job was running a water taxi out of Lund.