Seeking a Special Place Between Jasper and the Okanagan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends, I need a little advice here. DH’s aunt and uncle are a very spry 84 and 86, unbelievably active really (still volunteer at the military hospital, etc.). But mortality is catching up, and we would like to spend some time with them. They have been on numerous bus tours of the Canadian Rockies, but would like to do one last visit “freestyle” - as in the way we vacation. But of course, we need to allow a lot of recovery time, although aunt and uncle will not admit it and we cannot let on.

So, I am mapping out this trip and hoping that their health will continue to be robust, since this will be September next year. I am stuck on one little piece - the transition from Jasper to the Okanagan; wanting to avoid Kamloops (where all the bus tours seem to stop). Ideally, I’d like to find a bed and breakfast in a natural setting, and take them to explore a bit of this wonderful area that they have never seen.

One thought is to stop in Clearwater, BC, and stay at a B&B (perhaps Clearwater Springs Ranch?). Is Wells Gray Provincial Park close by? Have also thought about making a full day (with stops) trip and landing at the Inn on the Ninth Hole in Salmon Arm.

Itinerary draft:
- Meet in Spokane (they from Texas, we from Florida); night in Spokane.
- Drive to Nelson, night at The Hume. Tour Roxanne filmed sites, shops. Long story, but that’s the spot.
- Drive to Banff - which includes a (surprise) ferry ride at Galena Bay; week at timeshare
- Day’s drive to Jasper along Icefields Parkway, leisurely. Two nights in Jasper.
- Sticky point - transition to a visit to Okanagan. Would like 2 nights in a relaxing setting with plenty of view.
- Down to Okanagan; 2 nights. We are familiar with the area and have favorite stops.
- Drive to Spokane, maybe visit Grand Coulee Dam. Night at airport hotel, fly home in morning.

Sorry this is so long. I would like to find something really special for them, as it may well (probably will) be their last trip there.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Hi Sludick. It was so nice to have a chance to visit with you!! Next time we'll have to plan ahead to have more time.
I have never stayed at either of these places but have friends who have. One is Moul Creek Lodge B&B. They really enjoyed it (you can google their website) and the other is Helmcken Falls Lodge. The B&B was their favourite but thought the other one had a better location and enjoyed it as well. I think they said the food at the Lodge was excellent.
Sounds like you are going to have a very special time and I am so glad you are able to do it!!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

traveller69 - yes, absolutely! It was wonderful to finally spend a little face to face time. You dwell in a wonderful city as well. Looking forward to another chance to visit with you.

I was just looking at Moul Creek Lodge, it's the sort of place uncle would enjoy particularly. Do you know what waterfalls at Wells Gray are easily accessible (vehicle plus short hike)?
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 06:50 PM

Hi again - Here is a good website for you. I know that my friends saw three of the falls - Helmcken, Dawson and another one (forget the name) with ease. They say that they are wheelchair accessible in this website so I assume there isn't much walking involved.

http://www.wellsgray.ca/site/what-to-do.html
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
ltt

clearwater is an excellant choice for a stop spending a day in wells gray.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Good to know, thanks. Any particular lodging recommendations? It will be around Oct 1, so some places will not be open.