2 days btwn Cheticamp & Yarmouth

Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

2 days btwn Cheticamp & Yarmouth

Author: Jyber209
Date: 08/01/2005, 09:28 am
We have two free nights left to plan for our week+ stay on Nova Scotia.

We will be leaving Cheticamp on 8/17 and are scheduled to take the late ferry from Yarmouth on 8/19.

We will have done the Lighthouse Route and Halifax on our way out to CBI.

Does anyone have suggestions for how we should plot the two nights on the Bay of Fundy side (figure we will break up the driving by staying only one night per place).
We are not sure of driving time on those roads.

Would we be safe to play it by ear and not make reservations in advance?

Thanks so much for your input!

Author: kayd
Date: 08/01/2005, 05:24 pm
On our recent trip around Nova Scotia, we twice went to offices of the tourist info service for help in finding same-day lodging and they were great. We'd pop into the office in mid-afternoon and say approximately where we wanted to be and what type of accommodation we preferred for that night; the invariably helpful and friendly staff looked on their computer and made reservations on the spot. You can also reach them, known as Check in Nova Scotia, by phome at 1-800-565-0000 (the number on the cover of Doers and Dreamers). I learned of this service when I posted the same question here two months ago.

Author: Jyber209
Date: 08/02/2005, 07:03 am
Thanks so much, Kayd!

Does anyone have suggestions for how we should break up those last two days?
Thanks again!
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Another question:
How do I get this to come up under the Nova Scotia sub forum?
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:27 AM

I found this thread when I searched under Nova Scotia; perhaps the search function was just wonky when you tried. Other notes on Fodor's quirks -- to bring up an earlier post, click on your name in any post you submitted or at the top of the page in the yellow Welcome bar. Also, instead of submitting the same question twice, you can call up the first one and add a new post to it. Just "ttt" (for "to the top") will do it.

As for your travel question, the things we most enjoyed on the north side of NS were whale watching out of East Ferry on Digby Neck (a highlight of our trip!), a stop in Pictou to see the replica ship and its museum, wandering along some Bay of Fundy fishing villages (Hall's Harbor and others), and the lovely town of Annapolis Royal.
You could do these things by spending the first night in Wolfville and the second in Digby. What are your interests?
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Kayd. We definitely want to do the whale-watching and your stop suggestions make sense. We are a mid-life couple with kids girl, 21 and boy,15. We like scenery and genuine communities, and want to avoid crowds.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

We are also interested in modest hiking and seeing the Bay of Fundy wave action.