Search

YHA recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YHA recommendations

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations on specific hostels to stay at in Sydney. My current plan is to stay at YHA Central for 3 nights, then Blue Mountain for 1 night, then return to Sydney and stay at Bondi Beach YHA for 1 night (I am then moving on to Perth).

My question is whether these are good hostels (I'm 32 single, travelling alone - so nothing too boring) and if I'm moving around too much?

Thanks.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM

YHA hostels are generally of a good quality and Central is well located, has it's own restaurant and a pool up top where they have been known to do a BBQ or sausage in a roll, and not sure if they have a bar as well, but there's plenty in the area.
Blue Mountains gets good reviews but YHA hostels in comparison to those of other chains can be quieter in general terms.

If you're looking for a party atmosphere and a social scene more conducive to meeting people, you might be better off trying others like Wake-up for instance in Sydney, and btw, Manly is my pick over Bondi but that's just personal choice.

And the Fire Station at Fremantle is somewhere to head apparently.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM

A good website for independent hostel recommendations worldwide is
hostelz.com
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Celine,
We stayed at the Chelsea Guest Bed & Breakfast and really enjoyed it. It is recommended by Fodors and many posters here.
The prices were reasonable - around 95 USA dollars, which inluded a nice breakfast and lovely room in a nice neighborhood. We had to take public transport into Sydney proper.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 01:37 AM

Hello,

Have stayed at two out of the three - Bondi Beach is the one I haven't sampled.

Katoomba YHA is a great place - very sociable. The huge indoor lounge and an outdoor space too probably have something to do with it. Sydney Central is in a great location (close to the train station, walkable to CQ; on the fringes of Chinatown) but it is a bit anonymous. Like it has great facilities but the shared spaces (If I remember rightly - it's been a while) are quite small and there are lots of them. So although it's a hostel the vibe is more hotel.

Loads and loads of other options (I've stayed in three others but they were in the inner suburbs and for you really being central for those three days is the most important thing).

I don't think you are moving around too much.

BTW I've stayed at the Fire Station in Fremantle too as it happens. Again a long time ago, but I had no complaints at the time!

Cheers.