Search

Worst place in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Queenslander

Worst place in Australia

Well a challange has gone out and I thought that we may have a light discussion on what place is the worst town/city in Australia. So just for fun my vote goes to <BR>NEWCASTLE<BR>This is just to see if Colin is right and I am wrong. <BR>Remember, we are looking at places that would have absolutely no appeal to tourists so that the theme is still tourism and travel.<BR>Here are some more places:<BR>ROCKHAMPTON<BR>TOWNSVILLE<BR>IPSWICH<BR >PORT MELBOURNE<BR>GEELONG<BR>QUEENSTOWN, TASMANIA<BR>ROCKINGHAM, W.A.<BR>PORT KEMBLA

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:50 PM
Colin

My vote goes to Derby, (north Western Australia.)<BR><BR>I believe there is a big tree with a hole in it there that is the main tourist attraction. That should give you an idea of the place. However if you like mudflats and mangroves you would love it.<BR><BR>BTW, hope you all take this 'challenge' and any comments in the lighthearted fashion it is intended, and dont take offense if anyone mentions your hometown! <BR>Colin

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Susan

Mt Isa would be my favourite hate, hot, dry, windy, red, and nothing but a hole in the ground....... congratulations to anyone who can survive there

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Baby

NO not Mt Isa!!! At least it is different. My vote goes to Gladstone in Queensland for being the most poxy. To think you have to go from there to Heron Island - what an entry

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Shelly

Not Mt. Isa - isn't Pat Rafter from there? That alone saves the place...<BR>My suggestion is Port Hedland, WA

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Rel

I'm a West Aussie and would vote for Roebourne in the North West. It's not the end of the earth but you can sure as heck see it from there!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Andre Crance

Visited Australia many times on business. Here's four I'd happily miss:<BR><BR>Port Hedland WA: Boiling hot, very industrial and site of the saddest refugee detention center known to the western world<BR><BR>Gold Coast QLD: Okay if you have kids who want to come all this way to see trained porpoises and Bugs Bunny and car wrecks at the theme parks. Otherwise it's tacky and overrun with tourists. Sunshine Coast, however, is gorgeous, fun and not touristy.<BR><BR>Launceston TAS: Nice old homes, good gorge, nice wineries out of town. But in town, the dumbest traffic patterns on earth, boring shops, VERY cold in winter and a "who the hell are you" attitude amongst locals.<BR><BR>Cairns QLD: I got mugged there, so maybe I ain''t being fair. No beach until you go 5 kms north of town, overpriced hotels, dull nightlife, no scenery. MUCH prefer Port Douglas or Mossman or anywhere else in Qld.