Whitsunday Cruises - Boat help

May 17th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Whitsunday Cruises - Boat help

I am trying to decide with which boat to book for a three night cruise around the Whitsundays/GBR this June. We are looking for a smaller sailboat with relatively nice accomodations (not looking for luxury, just very clean) and good food. I would love to get your advice. Please post!!! Thanks, Lisa
May 17th, 2004, 09:34 PM

Hi Olivedz,

We went on the Windjammer in September 1999, and loved it. I looked up the name on the Internet not too long ago, and saw that the Windjammer still appeared to be in operation.

The boat can take 10 passengers, although there were only 7 on our cruise. There is a crew of 3.

We had the so called stateroom, which was very compact but had a double bed nonetheless. The other double cabins had bunk beds. There were shared shower and toilet facilities.

The meals were excellent. The captain was very friendly, went out of his way to accommodate passengers' requests for specific activities, and was very responsible and conscientious when it came to safety issues.

We did the Saturday to Tuesday cruise.

We lived in Australia at the time, so it was easy for us to bring soft sided luggage, as requested. Some other passengers were from overseas, and the cruise company stored their excess luggage in its offices. We boarded at Airlie Beach, and a representative from the cruise company was waiting for us with the other passengers' excess luggage when we disembarked at Shute Harbour.

We snorkeled in coral reefs, lazed on beaches, hiked on islands, and saw whales and dolphins. It was magical.

I just loved it, but would not have wanted a boat that was any more rustic than the Windjammer. If we'd gone down market, we would have been in the back packer category of boat, with more people to a cabin.

As it was, we felt that the boat we went on represented the happy medium. The staff were attentive to passengers' needs, but there also was a friendly atmosphere, with everyone (passengers and staff) participating together in many activities (swimming, hiking, eating, etc.).

The weather in September was just perfect, hovering either side of 80 deg F. I imagine it would be a bit cooler in June, perhaps closer to 70 deg F, but I don't know.

Here's a website that shows a photo of the stateroom, which I do recommend booking if you go on this boat.

http://www.seethewhitsundays.com/opp...bc/windjammer/

Here's a website that gives more general information about the Windjammer as well as the other 3 boats owned by the same company:

http://www.barefootcruises.com.au/windjammer.htm

As you'll see from the website, the company that owns the Windjammer, Barefoot Cruises Australia, also owns the larger Reef Odyssey, which takes 39 passengers and provides private en suite bathrooms. I mention that in case the Windjammer sounds too rustic for you.

Hope this helps.
May 18th, 2004, 05:12 AM

Not exactly small but Solway Lass is a lovely old tall ship, built in 1902. I think it takes about 32 people, max. Otherwise have you considered renting a yacht so you can do your own thing?
May 18th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for the input. I have actually looked into both options. I read about the Solway Lass on an earlier board here. Do either of you or anyone else out there have a preference between the Windjammer and the Lass?

Thanks again Judy and Pat,
Lisa
May 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Hi olivedz,

We were recently on the Solway Lass. It is a lovely 102 year old tall ship. We had two goes at full sail power and got to help raise the sails .
At 57 and 52 we were the oldest by about 25 years. But we enjoyed meeting everyone in the young crowd mainly, europeans w/ a few aussies.

Although I think we were 30, we never had to wait for toilet or shower. The food was excellent and our dinners w/ 15 at a table were uproarious.

It's about half double cabins and half four berth cabins.

Good snorkelling and we got to try an introductory scuba dive. Very friendly, engaging crew

Highly recommended
Andrew/David
May 19th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Author: AndrewDavid
Date: 05/19/2004, 09:16 pm

We were recently on the Solway Lass. It is a lovely 102 year old tall ship. We had two goes at full sail power and got to help raise the canvas. .

At 57 and 52 we were the oldest by about 25 years. But we enjoyed meeting everyone in the young crowd mainly, europeans w/ a few aussies.Lots of charades and wacky card games.

Although I think we were 30, we never had to wait for toilet or shower. The food was excellent and our dinners w/ 15 at a table were uproarious.

It's about half double cabins and half four berth cabins.

Good snorkelling and we got to try an introductory scuba dive. Very friendly, engaging crew

Highly recommended
Andrew/David