Which Australian City for a week ?

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Australian City for a week ?

Has anyone got any suggestions for an Australian City where my wife and I could happily spend a week,if not longer.
The important factors being beaches,sight seeing,things to do (day and night).And shopping for the wife.
My thinking so far, is Brissie and the Gold Coast
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:52 AM

We just came back from 1 week spent in Sydney and the Blue Mountains and would highly recommend it. (We were on our way back form 3 weeks in NZ.) Sydney has most everything you could look for in a city - great sightseeing, museums, gardens, walks, beaches, shopping, public transport, etc. Eveything's very easily accessible. It's only a 2 hour train ride (I think the fare was $11 each way) to the Blue Mtns. (we spent a couple of days there in the middle of the week) which will give you a great break from the city.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Agree with sharon - Brisbane is a nice city with access to excellent beach and other areas, but there's a reason why Sydney is the country's No 1 tourist destination. Do a little research and with the Blue Mountains break mentioned you'll have no trouble filling in a week. Or, if you're comfortable with driving in Australia, you could visit Canberra, the national capital, which is only 3 hours away and is worth at least 2 days. Or if driving is an option, there are many other great places within 3 hours of the city - including the South and Central Coasts and the Hunter Valley wine region.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Another vote for Sydney and Canberra. Neil is too modest to promote his own home town too vigorously, but Canberra -- as he said, only three hours from Sydney -- is a "must see" for tourists visiting Australia, yet is usually overlooked because it hasn't got the beaches and the surf which most people associate with Australia.

There's nothing wrong with Brisbane for a day or two -- a pleasant enough little city -- but you can see the Gold Coast without travelling all the way to Australia.... just head for Florida, and visit the theme parks of Orlando and the ocean strip of Miami. Really, unless you go to the hinterland, going to the Gold Coast isn't like seeing Australia at all.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:52 PM

I agree there is significantly more to see and do in the city of Sydney vs Brisbane. Nonetheless, in terms of great places to see within a half day's drive, I'd say the two cities are very much on par. Also Brisbane's climate is arguably the best year round of any Australian city. Like everywhere in Australia in summer, it gets hot, but winters are very mild. So if you're planning to visit Australia in the winter, you might choose Brisbane over Sydney if weather is any consideration.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

What about Perth and the Western Australia Coast ?.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:56 PM

Sydney gets my vote - it has everything - great beaches, great shopping, great sightseeing, great public transport, great dining out - it was great all round really.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:05 AM

Lesg, it would really help if you would say what time of year you'd be travelling.

I agree with everyone who says that Sydney has it all, but RalphR has a valid point about weather considerations. Sydney has lovely beaches but, unless you were lucky enough to be in the city during an unusually warm spell for winter, you wouldn't be able to swim there in June, July or August.

Also, it would help to know how far you're willing to travel from the city itself.

No Australian city that I've been to is best seen on its own. Each of them is better when it's combined with its hinterland.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Judy...we were looking at April but if this didn't come off.Certainly Feb next year.
From the messages so far,the Blue Mountains and Sydney are by far the best choice.
It would also give me an excuse to go back - I was there in 1989 (along time ago I know)and had a great holiday.Spent most of it in Kings X but that's another story.
I'm going back as a happily married man this time.