Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Where to go with 11 weeks? Aus, NZ, and ????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 02:28 PM
Chris Rauschl

I have 11 weeks to travel in the region and am soliciting advice on how to allocate my time. <BR> <BR>I definately plan to spend 4 weeks in Australia. I hope head down the east coast and spend a few days in the outback (I don't think I have any interest in the western half of the country). I plan to spend about 3 weeks in N.Z. At this time, I'm trying to figure whether I would be wise to spend more time in both countries or to visit some of the nearby islands or Asian countries. <BR> <BR>I was considering a couple week visit to Japan and/or some other country in the region. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have any sufggestions on how to best allocate my time. FYI, I am a 24 y.o. single male who is interested in seeing as much cool stuff as possible; I'm just trying to figure out what is worth seeing without spreading my self too thin. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help. <BR> <BR>Chris Rauschl

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 11:16 PM
christine

Hi Chris <BR>For New Zealand suggest you look up http.//www.outside.nz.com/ <BR>or www.discovernz.co.nz <BR>There are many places in those to look through. If you want more information on New Zealand email me and I will see what help I can give. In 4 weeks here you could see a great deal. What time of year are you planning to do this trip? <BR>Regards <BR>Christine <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 01:19 AM
Denise

Hi Christine, <BR>Nice to hear from you again. <BR>Planning to come your way one year, so stay on this forum, but am planning France next year. Any suggestions fro m your trip. Denise

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 04:46 PM
Chris Rauschl

I plan to travel from mid-August 'til late October. I will be in NZ for the month of October. I imagine it will be a little chilly, especially in the south. I'm sure it will be nothing compared to winters in northen North America though <BR> <BR>Thank you for the web sites. They look very helpful.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 01:59 PM
Lori

Chris, <BR>If you have the time, Japan is a great place to visit in September after the hot, humid summer. Tokyo has so much to see like museums and temples and fun things to do like riding the conductor-less train and going to matsuris (festivals). Stay in minshukus, Japanese-style inns to save money. Get a rail pass before you leave home to save $ on the long-distance train fare. Feel free to e-mail me if you need more info. I lived in Tokyo for 5 years.

Old Apr 3rd, 1999, 11:33 PM
jeff

Chris, I'm a Kiwi and 3 weeks should be plenty at that time of year because it WILL be cold so some places which would be great during summer could be disappointing. I'd base yourself in Queenstown and enjoy the late skiing and party atmosphere of the place. It IS a tourist town but beautiful and fun. <BR> <BR>Japan is really interesting - I spent 3 weeks there and enjoyed it a lot. But I've travelled a lot in this part of the world and I have to say my favourite place is Indonesia. Interesting, great people and yummy food. It's so big that you can easily spend many weeks there. Even touristy bali is great (after you've got totally wasted in Kuta, hire a jeep and drive round the north coast) <BR>But there's tons more on other islands so grab a guidebook and start reading.

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 03:40 AM
Trudy Meredith

Hi Chris, you just have to come to <BR>Gisborne, the first city to see the sun in the world each day. plus lots of special things If I knew how old you were and what you are interested in I could give you some specific things to see and do. I am owner and chef of a private 28 room hotel offering, peace and solitude but served by fun helpful people who want you to enjoy your stay and sample the food that many of your fellow countrymen rave about. like seafood chowder, venison, lamb fillet and the Aotearoa Pork dish to name a few. I am a Maori, so our hospitality is special as you are treated like a person not a number. Give us a call and see if we can help you.