What to do in Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be staying in a time-share resort in Bundaberg (love that name) for a week in November. What will the weather be like then? Will we be able to swim? What else is there to do and see in this area? This will be our first time in Australia. After our week in the time share, we have two more weeks. Where should we go next? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 01:37 AM

I grew up in Bundaberg and I was going to give you the short answer which is " die of boredom" but as you like to swim & it will be great swimming weather then you can then do three things - eat, sleep and swim!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Visit Mon Repos beach . It may be the right time of year to watch the turtles come up on to the beach at night to lay their eggs.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 03:42 AM

lavender, I think the "goodie two-shoes/ party poopers" of this world have stopped people from being able to get up close and personal with the turtles at Mon Repos now. As kids we used to love to dig a hole beside the turtles laying eggs and watch them, tears actually do roll down their faces when they lay the eggs. Latter day turtles, it seems, don't like people to watch or so we are told.
Actually another thing you could do in Bundaberg is take the cruise out to either Lady Elliot or Lady Musgrove Island where there is some nice snorkling to be had on the reef. The are some amazing geological features in Bundaberg as well which if you are interested in that sort of thing you will be able to get directions to.
Then when you are just about out of facscinating things to do you can drive up "The Hummock" which is Bundaberg's only hill and is an amazing 400 feet above ground level and see the 360 degree view of cane fields.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 05:43 AM

I second the trip out to Lady Musgrave--we did it a few years back and it was wonderful. We found Bundaburg to be quite charming! You might want to tour the Bundaburg Rum Distillery--we tried but it was closed on our only free day.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM

I would begin by purchasing Bundaberg rum and putting it immediately in your Coke! That rum tastes like candy and I am almost down to my last drop! Time for another visit to Australia!

Enjoy!

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:54 PM

I also was going to answer - rum!

From the words of a song (who's??):

Bundaberg Rum, overproof rum.
Will tan your insides
and grow hair on your bum.

Now there's something to look forward to!