Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

What do you think of this itinerary with two teenagers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I have done a ton of reading on this site and I keep changing our plans. this is what we have so far.
Day 1- Arrive from California and stay one night in Cairns
Day 2- Fly to Lizard Island for 2 nights (our life savings HA!)
Day 3-Lizard Island
Day 4-Fly to Sydney for 4 nights
Day 5-Sydney
Day 6-Sydney
Day 7-Sydney
Day 8-fly to Auckland and drive to Waitomo area. Any ideas on accomodations???
Day 9-Blackwater rafting in the morning & then drive to Rotorua for the Tamaki Tours Maori concert and Hangi in the evening.
Day 10- visit the thermal area in the morning and fly to Queenstown in the late afternoon. Any ideas on where to stay????
Day 11-Enjoy Queenstown,kids can bungy jump & luge.
Day 12- Jetboating on the Shotover River enjoy Queenstown

THIS IS WHERE I AM STUCK!

Day 13-drive in the morning to Milford Sound and cruise around & spend night in Te Anau?
Day 14-drive back to Queenstown. How do we get up to see the glacier from here?
Day 15-glacier
Day 16-Cristchurch
Day 17-fly home from christchurch
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:59 AM

dear mum in wherever

Lizard is expensive....to be there recovering from jet lag would seem to be a waste of $.

INHO you are trying to do too much...pushing too hard ...one segment has to go...I would suggest scrapping the north island of nz..

stay in sydney first
fly to nth qld...do you really see Lizard as the place for a family stay?
fly cairns-sydney-christchurch
get a car in chch and do a sensible loop of the south of the south island.
chch-arthurs pass-glaciers-wanaka-queenstown-sounds-otago peninsula-chch

fly chch-auckland-cal.

do the overnight cruise on doubtful sound
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:05 AM

I seem to recall Lizard does not allow children below a certain age. Even if your teens meet the cutoff, it does not sound like a family friendly place if it has such rules! Definitely worth checking into before you plan your trip around it.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry that I did not write the ages of our children. They are really adults. Ages 18 & 19. I know that Lizard is expensive however, I was a marine biology major and have always dreamed about going there.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:12 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Waitomo is about three hours south of Auckland. We visited there years ago and stayed at the Glow Worm Motel. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about the motel, but we took the cave rafting trip and had a great time.

I recently found this place online and it looks promising, although I have no first hand experience: www.waitomocaveshotel.co.nz.

As far as Queenstown is concerned, you might want to check out Villa Del Lago. We always stay here, and we love it. They have three bedroom units that would probably work very well for your family - www.villadellago.co.nz.

The trip from Queenstown to Milford can be done in a very long day (including cruise). If you're driving, you'll want to get an early start, or you might consider a bus trip and leave the driving to others. Since your time is limited, I would suggest taking the long day trip and returning to Queenstown for the night instead of spending a night in Te Anau.

You can then drive from Queenstown to Franz Josef and/or Fox Glacier the following day, which takes 4-5 hours with stops. I'd suggest at least two nights here - you should have one extra night if you cut the night from Te Anau.

You can then drive from the glaciers to Christchurch, spend one night, then catch your flight the following day.

This is a whirlwind trip, but it can be done.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 06:05 AM
MMT

I would say this is a great itinerary.
I think Lizard would be a great place to recover from Jet lag..you can snorkel from the beach, dive, walk, relax and have wonderful food in a very relaxed peaceful atmosphere.The marine Biology station is fascinating as well. We had our 16 yr old daughter with us a few years ago and she just loved it.
I would concur with MelnQ8...do not stay over night in Te Anau..come back to Queenstown from Milford..then drive to Wanaka, throught the Haast pass and up to Franz Joseph..long day drive but doable. You could maybe drop your car in Greymouth and take the Trans Alpine train across to Christchurch .
We are Canadian and just spent 3 mos in OZ and NZ. You will really enjoy it all.