Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

What clothing to take to NZ in February?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are getting ready for a trip to NZ leaving in late January. We will be starting our trip on the North Island in the Bay of Islands and will finish up about 4 weeks later in Queenstown, so during our time there we will traverse pretty much the entire country. We want to pack pretty lightly, but have no idea what clothes to take. Help!
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM

You're probably going to hate this answer - layers!

We spent February of this year in NZ - same geography as you. The weather was a mixed bag - very warm in Bay of Islands (25C) but cool and wet in parts of the SI. We wore everything from jeans to shorts; fleecies to tank tops.....sometimes the same day!

One thing we found was that most motels had laundry rooms so you can do a quick load which means you can take less.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM

I agree! You could be wearing shorts one morning because it's so hot, in the afternoon you'd wish you'd brought a jacket with you. We were lucky enough to pack the right clothes when we rented a <a href="http://www.mydriveholiday.com"> campervan hire.</a>
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Yes, I agree...layers. In March last year we visited the North Island, and wore short & t-shirt just about every day, and swam at most locations, especially on the Coramandel Peninsula & Lake Taupo.

Then in November last year, we visited the south island, this time thinking it would be much cooler, but no, we had glorious sunshine in Nelson & Abel Tasman National Park,
one day in Christchurch it was 29 degrees, and Queenstown & Alexandra both had 30 degrees I believe. In fact, I was wearing short & summer shirt at Mt.Cook Village, and Te Anau....so its hard to advise what sort of clothing to take.Personally at that time of the year, I would take summer clothing for January, with one set of warmer clothing, just in case, ie, jeans, jumper or jacket.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Your personal temperature comfort range may make a difference. I am from Florida and like warm weather. Quite a few years ago, I visited NZ for 3 weeks at the height of their summer (late Dec-early January)and I wore every bit of clothing I had...layered and all at the same time! I was cold, except in the far north in the Bay of Islands. This surprised me as I'd thought it would be cool but not cold. This may have been an unusual year and perhaps others would not have thought it was as cold as I did...but go prepared that you may encounter cold weather, especially in the south island, even in February.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM

I spent two weeks in NZ at the end of February into early March two years ago.

I packed lightly - everything fit into one of those carry on suitcases. I had two pairs of trousers, one pair of shorts, a few long and short sleeved t-shirts, a scarf, a jumper/sweater, and a fleecy. I wore my hiking boots on the plane to minimise space take in my suitcase. I also had one nice outfit.

I spent half my time on the south island where the weather ranged from sunny and warm to wet. So, make sure you take a waterproof coat.

The north island was slightly warmer.

What you'll find with NZ is because it is a narrow country, it'll be battered by winds from both directions. And the weather forecasts can't exactly be relied upon because the weather is so volatile and can change very quickly.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM

I can report on my trip to South island in February - it was the shorts and t-shirts weather including the evenings where we strolled around so attired at 9pm in the evening.

Of course it is always wise to throw in a sweater or light windjacket (particularly when you go on Milford Sound cruise)

if interested see my trip report -click on my name and look for our familys trip report south island february 2007

and most of all ..enjoy!