Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

What Are The Differences Between Rarotonga and Aitutaki?

Mar 29th, 2001, 12:56 PM
James

I am thinking about visiting both on our first trip to the Cook Isles. How do the snorkeling, accomodations, and dining options compare?

We are looking for mid range to upper quality (charming) lodging options that's close to good snorkeling spots, any reccomendations?

Thanks,

James

Mar 29th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Peggy

We have been to Rarotonga & going back to Raro & also Aitutaki April 20th.
On Raro we like Pacific Resort http://www.pacificresort.com/, it's right on Muri beach, the best spot for snorkeling. Many dining options. It's a small island, clean & friendly with good food. There is one main road around the island & you can find many good places to eat. Flame Tree & Jacks & Viama's & Ronnie's in town. Not to mention the resort itself. Aitutaki is much smaller, I understand you can just get by with a scooter for transportation. We are staying in an overwater bungalow at Pearl Beach Resort www.pearlbeachresorts.com, formerly Aitutaki Lagoon Resort. It is the most expensive place to stay but has great recommendations so we went with the meal option to make it easy but won't hesitate to try other places that look interesting, there are other places though to choose from to stay. It is even more laid back with most activities focusing on the lagoon which looks fantastic.
We loved Raro, that's why we are going back. Good luck with your plans!

Mar 31st, 2001, 05:03 PM
The Irwins

We didn't go to Aitutaki but heard good things about it. Cleaner, better accommodation. Do not stay at the Edgewater or the Raratongan, the local tourist office gets 20-30 complaints monthly from both of those...You will pay more money at the Crown Beach and Lagoon lodges but shouldn't be disappointed from what we here from the locals. Sails is good for lunch, the Portofino is good and a definate must is "The Cafe", best coffee on Raratonga and next to an airconditioned internet provider. All there food was excellent, so was the service.

Apr 24th, 2001, 10:16 AM
christine

The difference between the two is like between New York City and Mayberry RFD. Just when you think Raro is laid back, you go to Aitutaki and discover what laid back really is - I don't think the snorkelling is really any better there but Aitutaki is definitely worth a visit thought accommodations are limited, expensive and transportation is via dirt roads. A couple of days there should do it.

Apr 27th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Karinne

We went to Raro and Aitutaki last November for our Honeymoon. Stayed at the Sokala Villas on Raro (Muri Beachcomber was my first choice but it was full) and the Aitutaki Lodges on Aitutaki. Sokala was fantastic, there are only 7 villas, 5 of them with a private pool. It's right on Muri Beach but is one of the more expensive choices. We ate at the Flame Tree and Sails and then a local place along the same strip after we tired of paying the high restaurant prices. I wouldn't recommend the Aitutaki Lodges. There's no real beach there and you can't even go in the water that you are by. It's also not close to any restaurants. We ate both lunch and dinner there and were charged an outrageous amount for a pretty home style meal. We didn't eat at any restaurants there. The Aitutaki Lagoon Resort is probably the place to stay. They didn't have any of the more reasonably priced rooms available when I was booking so that's why we went with the Aitutaki Lodges.

Aitutaki has far superior snorkelling compared to Raro. The lagoon in Raro has some sections with brown stuff floating on the surface which was not very pleasant. The Aitutaki Lagoon cruise is a must. The water and islands are just beautiful. Lots of time for snorkelling and relaxing.

We really enjoyed the Cooks because it's so small (rent a moped and tour the islands) and not overly touristy.

May 7th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Peggy

Just returned from Raro & Aitutaki. On Raro we rented the "Island Villa" from Pacific resort. For us it was great, a self contained small house on Muri beach about a 10 minute walk on the beach to Pacific. It is actually a guest house on the same property as the director of the resort. Very private, kitchen, big deck & lounges, use of owners kayak, quiet but close to everthing and very reasonable. On Aitutaki we had an overwater bungalow at Pearl Beach Resort...amazing views!
Obviously very laid back. We did have lots of rain but it was a great vacation. Any questions, let me know.

May 16th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Jackie

I just returned from Rarotonga and Aitutaki yesterday, and loved both islands, but they are different. Rarotonga is a "higher" island with beautiful mountains and a lagoon of various widths and depths surrounding the island. It has a population of about 9000 and is larger with more accomodations and restaurants than Aitutaki. Aitutaki, on the other hand, is a very small island with a few hills and has a very large, gorgeous lagoon with little islets. Personally, I would definitely visit both islands and divide my time between the two. I stayed at the Muri Beachcomber on Rarotonga and the Aitutaki Pearl Beach resort. I thought both places were outstanding. If you would like to ask more questions, please feel free to e-mail me.