Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Wallet - friendly and 'easier' flight combinations for S.Pacific isls?

Apr 7th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi there!
I'm researching for flights ex SE Asia (else ex AUS/ NZ) in low budget terms, for a trip to south pacific islands.
The inter-island connections seem far too complicated and expensive.
I have not decided where exactly to go, but since this will be my fist trip to the area, it seems right that itinerary should depend greatly on feasibility and cost, instead of hitting my head to the wall, trying to combine certain places.
My ideal (and flexible) plan would be to visit say 3 islands/ countries in about 3 weeks.
Obviously this time frame won't be enough for an in-depth exploration, but I really like to see diffrent places instead of going around or relaxing in one.
I guess that the islands can offer both natural scenery and a glimpse to local people life in each own distinctive way.
I'm definately not looking to just lie on the beach.
Any ideas, experiences, costs for a wallet- friendly flight combo, would be very very helpfull!
Many thanks guys for your time and expertise,
hoping it will be a long but beautiful way over there!
Nik
Apr 7th, 2010, 02:37 PM

webjet.com.au is always a good site for fares ex. Australia. Polynesian Blue, Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, Air Caledonie are among the regular carriers. It is fairly expensive to fly the Pacific and flight schedules can be few and far between. For different cultural experiences I would suggest Fiji and New Caledonia. For a real deal South Pacific experience Samoa is hard to beat with American Samoa ( a short flight away) for something a bit different. The Cook Islands are also worth considering.
Apr 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

great info!
I was also considering to start from Papua N. Guinea - solomon islands and see from there.
do you think this could fit for further travel to some of the islands you suggest?
many thanks
Apr 8th, 2010, 02:21 AM

I would not advise going to the Solomons. There has been a lot of unrest there in the past few years and you can see virtually everything the Solomons have to offer in a much safer environment.
Air Niugini flies from PNG to Fiji and from there you can fly to most Pacific Islands.
Apr 8th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

hmmm, this seems good!
thanks downunder, i'll check airline website