Reload this Page >

Vehicle Rental or Purchase in Oz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Thomas Latcheran

I will be arriving in Melbourne in May. Afterwards, I intend to spend 3 months or more visiting the country. I have a keen interest in hiking and plan to visit the Outback as well as exploring other areas where having a reliable vehicle is not only convenient but necessary.<BR><BR>I have no personal experience in the country, but I read that a preferred vehicle -including possibly a light pick-up truck or cargo van - would be one with high clearance to manage any holes or ruts that are likely to be encountered when off an oiled road.<BR><BR>Of course, the choice is either to rent or buy a vehicle. In making the choice, a prime consideration would be the trade-off in the cost of a rental vis a vie the problems associated with finding a reliable used car at a fair price, being able to obtain insurance at a reasonable price, and being able the vehicle quickly when the trip is completed. I am also well-aware that a bad experience with a vehicle can make an otherwise pleasant trip a nightmare. Also, from what I have read, buying a vehicle from a dealer with a guaranteed buy-back is not a good idea owing to the quality of the vehicle usually obtained and the tendency of the dealer to charge add-ons when the vehicle is returned<BR><BR>I would appreciate any knowlegible opinions or comments, as well as recommendations, which may be helpful in making the choice.<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR><BR>Tom<BR><BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:57 PM
LizF

Tom, one of the problems if you are going into the outback is that most rental agencies will not allow you to take their vehicles on dirt roads, or as in Queensland, out past a certain point in the outback. So firstly you may wish to email Hertz, Avis or whatever and ask them their conditions for rental in respect to going to the places you may wish to and then you will have had answered one of the main questions to see if in fact you do have a choice in the matter. <BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 09:42 PM
marg

Having travelled extensively through Australia, my recommendation would be to drive a conventional vehicle and take 4WD tours where necessary. You will have the advantage of an experienced driver, radio back-up where necessary and it will not be your vehicle that may get damaged. Australian un-made outback roads range from reasonably good to unbelievably bad. Also overseas visitors don't appreciate how unhospitable the outback can be if things go wrong. Even our made roads, particularly in the north of Australia, can be pretty bad.<BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Rhonda

Have you heard of Tag Along type tours? When you've decided whether to buy or hire, a short tag along tour may be a good idea to help you become accustomed to what you may later face and also get you to some out of the way places.<BR><BR>Do a search here and also elsewhere on the net and you may find quite a number of companies offering this type of guided self driven tour. One I found is:<BR><BR>http://www.australian-adventure-tours.com/<BR><BR>They will help you with 4WD car hire if necessary. <BR><BR>I have had german friends come out here and both sets bought a car and sold it before returning. Luckily for them they had us here to help with both the search and sale of the vehicle.<BR><BR>Backpackers often have vehicles to sell so when you get here it may be worth checking out the notice boards of city hostels and backpacker accomodations.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:36 AM
Michael

Hi Tom and Rhonda, <BR>Tag Along tours are certainly a good way of getting to know our country. <BR>Here is a link where you'll find some info about them, <BR>http://www.redcentre.com.au/4X4/TagAlongFAQ.htm <BR><BR>It's unfortunately true, many Car Rental Co's won't even allow you to take their 4WD vehicles to many of the best places. <BR><BR>Enjoy OZ, <BR>Michael.